Simple upma recipe without vegetables is very easy to prepare and it makes a very quick and yet healthy breakfast which is kid friendly as well. We make this simple South Indian Kerala style rava upma with coconut to make it simple and delicious as well. You can serve this coconut upma with any curry, chutney or serve this simply with ripe bananas and sprinkle a little sugar too if you wish!
This easy and simple upma recipe is a South Indian style breakfast recipe.
There are different kinds of upma recipes for breakfast. See masala upma recipe here.
Most of the kids love to have this simple upma with fresh bananas, as the sooji/rava upma mixed with bananas is really very yummy.
You may add a little sugar by sprinkling some sugar over the upma, and then mix with the bananas, but adding sugar is not at all necessary, as upma simply mixed with banans is delicious.
Sooji/rava upma is made mainly of slightly coarse sooji/rava flour, which is basically durum wheat flour. So this dish is made using semolina flour which is very unique in texture, and you can make it with or without vegetables and you can add spices or choose not to add them.
There are many number of ways you can make upma using semolina flour and this one is very simple and basic upma recipe which is very flexible, so you can modify and add sauteed vegetables to the dish if you prefer that.
As I mentioned above, sooji or rava upma is a very versatile breakfast dish you can prepare it with adding a lots of vegetables or very less ingredients like just onions and coconuts, or just using the basic ingredient rava or sooji and (with a little melted butter or ghee if you are not vegan) or little vegetable oil for roasting the flour if needed.
But adding oil is not necessary as we can dry roast the flour easily, and so I have not used any oil or any kinds of fats here and this upma recipe is vegan(but you may add ghee or coconut oil if you wish, especially if you wish to add seasonings).
How To Add Seasoning & Nuts To Make The Simple Upma Even More Delicious?
If you are preparing for adults you may also add the seasonings and add few fried nuts like peanuts or cashews which will make it more crunchy.
For the seasoning, you can use the basic ingredients used for South Indian style seasoning, like mustard seeds, red dry chilies and fresh curry leaves.
Just lightly fry all of these in a little coconut oil and then roast the rava (semolina flour) and coconut and then proceed as mentioned in the instructions given below.
You can see pictures below where I have added the seasonings (mustard seeds, red chilies and curry leaves in coconut oil) and also fried cashews to the upma, which too is very easy to prepare and so delicious as well.
Simple upma with the minimal ingredients is a favorite of kids (when mixed with bananas) and you can serve it with sweet bananas.
It tastes so good when you just mix up the both – rava upma and bananas and it is a popular breakfast combination loved by both adults and kids.
Kid Friendly Upma With Coconut Kerala Style Recipe
To keep it the most simple, which can be prepared in minutes, I only used four basic ingredients – semolina flour (sooji/rava flour) and also water, salt and freshly grated coconut for flavor.
The addition of coconut makes this a very delicious and easy Kerala style upma recipe for breakfast.
Feel free to skip the coconut if you want to make it the most basic recipe and just make it using the semolina flour, or you can add more ingredients like finely chopped vegetables or spices and experiment as you wish.
How To Make SImple Upma With Coconut
- Heat a pan and then dry roast rava (semolina flour). Add the coconut and salt, and roast the coconut also (make sure not to burn contents). Keep this aside.
- Boil the water in another pan. When the water starts boiling, pour the boiled water to the sooji, mix well
- Close the pan and cook in very low heat for two minutes. Open the pan, stir the upma well until all water is absorbed. You can read all the instructions in detail in the recipe card.
More Pictures Of Simple Rava Upma Preparation
Below you see the rava or sooji used for upma preparations
Below is the picture of the prepared upma with coconut
Below you see the picture of simple coconut upma served with bananas
See the recipe in detail below to learn the ingredients and instructions to prepare simple upma with coconut.
Simple Upma Recipe Without Vegetables - Coconut Rava Upma
- 1 cup sooji/rava (semolina flour)
- 1 cup coconut grated or shredded
- salt as needed
- 1 cup water
- Heat a pan and then dry roast rava (semolina floufor about 2 minutes in low heat. Keep stirring to avoid burning the flour at the bottom of the pan. (if you are adding the seasoning you can heat a tablespoon of oil first, the fry the ingredients for seasoning and also the cashews, then add the semolina flour to the seasonings in the pan and roast it).
- Add the coconut and salt, mix well and roast for another 1 minute.
- After roasting the flour and coconut, switch off the stove and keep the pan aside to avoid further roasting.
- Boil the water in another sauce pan.
- As the water starts boiling, pour the boiled water over roasted rava, mix well and transfer the pan back to the stove.
- Close the pan and cook in very low heat for two minutes.
- Open the pan, stir the upma for 1 more minute or until all water is absorbed and the dish is well cooked.
Hope you found this post on simple upma recipe for breakfast helpful!