Simple Yogurt Rice Indian Recipe – Easy Simple & Kid friendly Yogurt Rice/Curd Rice For Lunch
If you are making simple yogurt rice for kids who don’t like spices, here is how you can easily make this simple and yummy kid friendly yogurt rice following this yogurt rice Indian recipe.
I used ghee which adds much flavor to the rice, but you may use butter instead if you wish, though ghee imparts the best flavor for this rice. Curd rice is very popular in South India as a simple and delicious lunch which is prepared using cooked white rice, thick and creamy curd (yogurt) and some whole spices and sometimes we also add cilantro leaves, mint leaves, pomegranates or even grated carrots for garnishing the curd rice.
South Indian style curd rice (see recipe here) is very delicious as it is. However, sometimes kids may not prefer the spiciness and so you may need to avoid chilies and other spices they dislike, to make an easy and simple yet delicious curd rice or yogurt rice.
So this is a simplified version of curd rice or yogurt rice where we make a very simple yogurt rice without much spices that is very much kid friendly too. Here is how you can make this simple yogurt rice or simple curd rice following this simple yogurt rice Indian recipe.
This simple and easy creamy yogurt rice is so quick to prepare and it is a kid friendly version of South Indian style yogurt rice without spices.
- cooked white rice 1/2 cup
- thick yogurt 2 to 3 tablespoons
- ghee 1 tablespoon
- salt a little
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add the cooked white rice.
- Stir fry the rice for 1 to 2 minutes in medium to low heat until the rice is lightly fried in ghee.
- Switch off the stove and add the salt, mix well with the rice.
- Transfer the rice to the serving bowl, add the yogurt and mix well.
- The rice is lightly fried in ghee and mixed in with the creamy yogurt which tastes delicious but simple and healthy too! This makes an easy lunch or dinner for kids who love yogurt and ghee.
If you don't like the flavor of ghee, feel free to replace with butter. You can add in any spices like a little garlic powder (or black pepper corns for adults) or cooked vegetables like sauteed grated carrots, green peas etc or even fruits like pomegranate seeds if you like to add in vegetables, fruits or spices to this rice. Or you can enjoy it as it is!
See the preparation in pictures below:
Hope you found this post on simple yogurt rice Indian recipe helpful in making easy and quick yogurt rice or curd rice.