South Indian omelette recipe is easy to follow and helps you to enjoy spicy and savory omelette perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
You can make this less spicy or not spicy at all just by avoiding the chilies in the recipe.
This is also known as mutta omelette recipe or mutta porichathu recipe in malayalam language where it simply means fried egg recipe or egg fry recipe (South Indian Kerala style) or egg omelette.
This is a South Indian Kerala style omelette recipe which is popular in Kerala and we use either green chilies or red chilies (no need to use both, use one of them), along with shallots (small onions) and curry leaves to make this yummy vegetarian omelette.
Another delicious South Indian Kerala style egg dish I have in my blog is Kerala style dry egg roast recipe.
By vegetarian omelette, it is meant the omelette is free of meat as there are many omelette recipes which uses meat. So this is a meat free vegetarian omelette using fresh eggs and very few other ingredients.
Even though we use only very few ingredients this simple Kerala style omelette is very yummy and healthy too.
So here is how you can make this yummy spicy omelette following this South Indian omelette recipe.
South Indian Omelette - Spicy Kerala Style Egg Omelette
- Peel the shallots and slice them finely. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg well until the egg white and yolk are blended well.
- Add the salt, chopped shallots, curry leaves and chilies to the beaten egg and mix everything well together until the salt is dissolved.
- Heat a pan or an iron griddle, add the oil and spread it evenly.
- Pour the egg mixture to the pan and cook until the egg is set and the bottom is cooked well so you can flip it easily. This will take very few minutes like 2 to 3 minutes. Always keep the heat at low to medium so it won't get burnt at the bottom, before the egg is set.
- Once it is cooked at the bottom side, flip the omelette and cook on the other side too. This side will get cooked fast in about a minute or two.
- Once the next side of the omelette is also cooked, remove the omelette from the pan and transfer it to the serving plate. Your spicy South Indian Kerala style omelette is ready now.
Hope you found this post on South Indian omelette recipe helpful!