Indian buttermilk recipe is a very refreshing drink which is very popular during the hot summer months and even enjoyed during the cold winter times too.
South Indian Kerala style buttermilk recipe is popularly known as pacha moru, morum vellam or sambaharam which all means spiced buttermilk drink.
Indian style buttermilk is usually prepared using the Indian style yogurt which is commonly known as curd or dahi (in Hindi language) though you can also prepare this drink using regular yogurt as well.
Indian buttermilk recipe is basically a spiced buttermilk recipe with slight variations in preparations in different parts of India.
In India, spiced buttermilk is known by names like masala chaas or simply spiced buttermilk, morum vellam, sambaram or sambharam, pacha moru etc (as known in South India). You can learn here how to make the best homemade buttermilk recipe South Indian style.
To me, yogurt or buttermilk mixed with green chilies or red chilies is one of the best comforting foods I enjoy 🙂
Indian buttermilk recipe or masala Chaas recipe is diluted curd or yogurt with added spices. The homemade spiced buttermilk recipe here is known by the name masala chaas in India since we use spices with the diluted yogurt based drink known as buttermilk or plain chaas.
Masala chaas recipe is one of the most popular everyday drinks enjoyed in India.
Another very popular and delicious Indian drink which is enjoyed much is mango lassi which can be prepared using fresh mangoes or using store bough mango pulp.
This is a simple chaas recipe where spices are added to the basic plain chaas recipe.
Yogurt is one of the best foods in the world, provided you are not allergic to yogurt and you use the organic yogurt. The organic yogurt is healthy, tasty and kid friendly too.
I love adding yogurt to rice, parfaits and I love to have it just like that even without any additional flavors. One of the favorite foods of my toddler is also plain yogurt and he loves mixing it with his oatmeal and rice.
As a person who loves yogurt, I love buttermilk too.
To make simple buttermilk drink at home, which is known as chaas, traditionally we just dilute the yogurt (curd) with water along with salt and a few other ingredients like ginger and spices.
Using yogurt made from whole milk will give the best results. This is one of the best beverages that can beat the heat in the summer, as it is naturally refreshing and cool.
Spiced buttermilk can be prepared in many different flavors, the recipe used here will give you quite spicy drink. Feel free to adjust or reduce the spices according to your taste.
So here is how you can make easy and simple spiced buttermilk following this South Indian buttermilk recipe.
Indian Buttermilk Recipe Below
Indian Buttermilk Recipe - Spiced South Indian Style Buttermilk Drink Recipe With Curry Leaves & Green Chilies
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 small green chili pepper sliced in thin round slices
- 1 string curry leaves or chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt adjust as needed
- Add yogurt to a bowl.
- Add water to the yogurt little by little and stir gently with a wooden spoon to avoid the formation of any lumps.
- Once the yogurt and water is combined well, add crushed ginger, salt, curry leaves and stir well. If you want salt, add the salt also and mix well.
- Finally add chopped green chili peppers as well and stir gently. Serve the buttermilk chilled for best results!
Adding more flavors To The Simple & Basic Indian Buttermilk RecipeYou can modify this buttermilk recipe to include your favorite ingredients and make it more appetizing to you. Here are few suggestions you can try to make it more flavorful. 1. Add finely chopped sweet mango pieces. You can use about half of a medium sweet mango (don’t use sour mangoes). Instead of chopping, you can also blend the mango pulp along with yogurt and water. Avoid using ginger and green chili peppers if you want to make your drink sweet. Add your favorite sweetener to make the drink more sweeter. 2. Add 1/2 teaspoon of roasted cumin powder. 3. Add 1/2 teaspoon of Indian chaat masala for an exotic drink! Chaat masala can also be sprinkled in fruit salads and also cucumber salads. It is even used to spice up pineapple pieces and boiled corn. 4. Add spices like few saffron strands or a pinch of cardamom powder. You can also make this simple drink more innovative by trying out different ingredients, especially different spices go well with buttermilk.
Tips To Make The Best Homemade Buttermilk Recipe Indian Style
- Chilled buttermilk tastes the best!
- Refrigerate the buttermilk overnight, or at least keep for a few hours to get better results, as this helps the spices and herbs to blend well with the buttermilk which makes it even more tastier.
- Instead of using a wooden spoon, you can also use a hand blender or use a regular blender to make the job easier.
- Buttermilk, yogurt or even plain water taste better when stored in clay pots, so use a clay pot if you have any. When stored in clay pots this tend to be more cooler even with out using refrigerator.
- Instead of mixing the ingredients one by one, you can put all the ingredients in a bottle and shake well to prepare the drink instantaneously. The downside of this method is that there is an increased chance of forming lumps.
- Sometimes, the contents may settle down when kept for a long time. In that case, stir well using a spoon just before using.
- What I have shared in this post is the basic recipe I use for preparing buttermilk. Even though salt is there in the recipe, I usually skip it since I love the taste of buttermilk without salt.
- To make it less spicy, avoid using the green chili peppers. If you don’t like even mild spiciness, you can also skip the crushed ginger. Instead you can make it a sweet drink or try with a different flavor or simply prepare the buttermilk using the rest of the ingredients mentioned in the basic recipe.
You can prepare buttermilk easily using water and the instant buttermilk powder from stores or online.
You can also use chaat masala powder which can be used in a variety of recipes including buttermilk, fruit or vegetable salads and other simple beverages too.
Enjoy the buttermilk for a refreshing healthy drink that is simple, easy to prepare, delicious and spicy too! (you can make it less spicy too!)
Hope you like this post on spiced Indian buttermilk recipe or Kerala style buttermilk recipe!