Simple tomato capsicum rice recipe with onions and spices (I used green bell pepper also known as green capsicum) is easy to follow and you can make yummy and healthy tomato rice with green peppers and onions for vegetarian/vegan lunch or dinner.
We have this easy South Indian style masala tomato rice recipe which is very delicious as well, where we use exotic spices to make the tomato rice.
However in this very simple tomato capsicum rice recipe we are not using any spices other than garlic powder (you may add a few if you like), but we are making the rice just with veggies, fresh tomatoes being the main ingredient.
The flavoring of the rice is from tomatoes, garlic, sauteed onions and capsicum (green bell pepper) and the rice has a light orange tint from the tomatoes used in cooking.
We do not puree the tomatoes, but we just add the chopped tomatoes to the sauteed onions and cook this along with the rice.
You can make this easy tomato rice for lunch or dinner or you can pack this for a picnic or while you are traveling. This is a one pot meal and this dish is so quick and easy to make.
So here is how you can make this yummy and easy tomato capsicum rice following this simple tomato capsicum rice recipe.
I have used a green chili along with the green bell pepper (capsicum), so it might be difficult to distinguish between the green chili and green bell pepper.
The green chili can be very spicy as well, so avoid using green chili if you are making for kids, or if you don't prefer spicy food. In brief, use the green chili only if you like spicy food.
I didn't soak the rice in advance, I just washed the rice and made the rice, which turned out fine! If you wish, you may soak the rice in water for about 10 to 15 minutes prior to cooking, and drain the water and use in the recipe.
Easy Tomato Capsicum Rice Recipe Below
Tomato Capsicum Rice Recipe- Simple Tomato Capsicum Pulao Rice
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 onions
- 1 green chilies sliced lengthwise avoid if giving for kids or if you don't want spicy
- 1.5 cups rice (I used white basmati rice)
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt adjust as needed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Chop the tomatoes in medium sized pieces and keep aside.
- Remove the seeds from the green bell pepper and slice them evenly, keep this aside with tomatoes.
- Peel and slice the onions, keep this separately from tomatoes and bell pepper.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the sliced onions.
- Saute the onions till they are lightly browned which will take few minutes.
- Once the onions are lightly browned, add the bell peppers, tomatoes and sliced green chilies, mix well and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Wash the rice, and add the rice to the pan, stir fry the rice in low heat for another 1 minute.
- Add the salt and garlic powder, stir everything well.
- Add the water, mix everything once again and bring the mixture to a boil.
- As the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook in low heat for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the rice is cooked and soft and all water is absorbed.
- If there is any water left after the rice is cooked completely, you can increase the heat and cook with the pan open for about a minute or two, so the remaining water will be absorbed. Yummy and easy tomato rice with bell peppers is ready to serve!
More Pictures From The Preparation
You can serve this tomato capsicum rice as it is or with any vegetable curry like this chana masala or easy chickpea curry or this delicious fried eggplant curry or any salad or raitha or fresh yogurt!
Hope you found this post on simple tomato capsicum rice recipe helpful!