Tomato curry for chapathi without coconut milk or simple tomato kulambu or tomato kuzhambu (as in tamil language) and can be made using minimum ingredients with very little effort.
This is a easy, simple South Indian Kerala style tomato curry made using fresh tomatoes and spices (without coconut milk, onions or garlic) and you can enjoy this as a simple, quick, delicious side dish with Indian breads like chapathi, poori etc.
This simple, quick and easy tomato curry is a vegetarian as well as vegan recipe and goes great with Indian breads like chapathi, poori, nan etc.
The best thing with this tomato curry is that it so simple to make in very few minutes of time, so its perfect if you are looking for any side dish for chapathis that you can prepare quickly while you are busy.
This easy and simple tomato gravy or tomato curry without coconut can be prepared really quick within very few minutes, and so this is perfect for busy morning breakfasts too. This easy, quick and simple tomato curry without coconut can be enjoyed with chapathi and poori, and also you may enjoy this with dosa, rice or idli as you wish.
Tomato curry is also known as thakkali curry in Malayalam language in Kerala, South India while it is known as tomato sabji or tamoto bhaji in other parts of India.
More Tomato Curry Recipes In This Blog
- Tomato And Onion Curry Recipe where we use both onions and tomatoes to make the delicious curry.
- Kerala style tomato onion fry recipe, which is more exotic with spicy flavors and it is also very easy to make.
Garam masala powder is what I used to make this simple tomato curry so yummy easily.
You can make this easiest tomato curry for chapathi within minutes, and adjust the spices based on your preference.
This tomato curry for chapathi is the most quick, simple and easy to make tomato curry for chapathi. If you wish, you can adjust the spices and flavors to make it according to your preferences.
As I mentioned, this tomato curry for chapathi is made the most simple to help someone to make a quick tomato curry for chapathi without having to grind anything like coconut or making coconut milk or slicing onions. This is yummy and easy even without any onions in the recipe.
This tomato curry without coconut milk goes great as a simple and yummy side dish with rice, dosa and idli as well.
As I already mentioned above, tomato curry is also known as tomato kulambu/kuzhambu or tomato kulambu/kuzhambu where the words kulambu or kuzhambu means curry in many parts of South India.
This simple and easy tomato curry recipe without coconut is also a no onion no garlic recipe and this is so delicious.
A must ingredient for this easy and delicious tomato curry is garam masala powder.
See my post on onion curry for chapathi here which is one of the most easy recipes for Indian onion curry where the simple side dish for chapathi is made using just onions and spices.
This easy tomato curry recipe without coconut milk or onion or garlic is one of the best and easiest side dishes for chapathi, nan or other Indian flatbread, but you can also use it for rice or whatever you wish.
I always loved tomato based recipes for chapathis as they can be made really quick. There are different kinds of tomato based side dishes perfect for chapathis. Recently I made this tomato curry for chapathi for morning breakfast and while I didn’t plan it earlier, it took me only less than 15 minutes to finish preparing the dish.
This tomato curry for chapathi without coconut milk or without onions is so easy to prepare as you need to chop only two fresh tomatoes and you can make this yummy and easy tomato curry recipe in minutes.
So here is how you can quickly and easily prepare this tomato curry for chapathi and poori following this very easy tomato curry recipe without coconut or onions.
Easy Tomato Curry Recipe Below
Tomato Curry Recipe
- 2 large sized fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- curry leaves a few
- Cut the tomatoes in small pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Add the chopped fresh tomatoes to the pan, be careful while doing this so as to avoid the hot oil splashing. I use a spatula with long handle to transfer the tomatoes gently into the pan without splashing the oil.
- Add salt and mix well (if you are using ginger garlic paste, you can add now)
- Cook in medium to high heat for few minutes, say 3 to 4 minutes, with stirring in between to make sure the curry is not burning at the bottom of the pan.
- As the tomatoes get cooked, the juice of the tomatoes will be released and the gravy is formed naturally when it combines with the oil.
- Add the spices - turmeric powder, cumin seeds powder, garam masala powder and black pepper to the tomato gravy in the pan to make a delicious tomato gravy with small chunks of tomatoes in spices
- Mix everything well and cook for another two minutes. Delicious tomato curry for chapathi ready to serve! Enjoy with chapathis, rice, bread or whatever dish you like it to be served with!
For best results, serve the tomato curry hot. If you want very less gravy, you can cook for more minutes stirring frequently.
This tomato curry for chapathi is so quick and easy to make and the recipe is so flexible. I used what all spices I had with me and what I preferred when I made it. I usually adjust the spices as needed and it always works with this easy tomato curry recipe, so you can adjust the spices based on your preferences.
As a recommendation, you may add 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder or 1 sliced green chili and 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste if you wish ( I didn't use garlic for this recipe). f the tomatoes are too sour, you may also add a tablespoon of sugar to the curry, while cooking the tomatoes.
Nutrition facts given below are approximate values.
Hope you like this post on simple and easy tomato curry for chapathi which you can make so quickly at your home!