This tomato masala curry recipe is so easy to follow and you get a delicious vegan/vegetarian gravy for rice, biryani, chapathi, or anything you wish to enjoy it with.
I made it little spicy but you can reduce (or avoid) the chilies to make it less spicy. The tomato masala curry or masala gravy is so easy to prepare for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
You can also use this tomato masala curry as a kind of tomato chutney which goes with idli and dosa as well.
If you love easy tomato curry recipes, you can also try this super easy and quick tomato curry recipe which is made without grinding any spices.
We use coconut as well as cashews in the preparation of this tomato masala curry, along with using spices like masala.
I have a recipe for coriander coconut chutney here which uses coconut and cashews in its preparation as well, but we do not use any masala or many spices in its preparations, but its very delicious!
I also have the recipe for coconut cashew curry base here which you can use to make delicious vegan/vegetarian curry base for your gravies.
So coming back to this tomato masala curry recipe, we use fresh tomatoes, coconut, cashew nuts and spices to make this yummy and easy curry/gravy which goes great with rice, biryani, chapathi, dosa, idli, poori or any bread as a simple and easy vegan/vegetarian curry, gravy or chutney.
So here is how you can make this easy tomato masala curry following this tomato masala curry recipe.
If fresh coconut is not available, you can use unsweetened shredded coconut to make this tomato masala.
You can also buy organic raw cashews here which you can use to make this yummy tomato masala curry.
Tomato Masala Gravy/Curry Recipe Below
Easy Tomato Masala Curry Recipe
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut grated or shredded unsweetened
- ½ cup raw cashews
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 dry red chilies broken
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water or little more if needed
- Wash the tomatoes and grind it slightly coarse along with cashews and coconut with enough water. If you are using a food processor to grind the tomato coconut cashew mixture, you can just use the 2 cups of water which will give you a thick gravy. If you are using a blender, you may need some extra water to grind everything.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the broken dried red chilies.
- Add the grind tomato mixture (with cashews and coconut) to the pan and you can add little extra water if the gravy is too thick.
- Saute the mixture for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is cooked and the oil starts separating from the sides of the pan.
- Add the salt and garlic powder, stir well and cook in low heat for 2 more minutes.
- Add all remaining spices to the pan - turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin seeds powder and garam masala powder and stir everything well until well combined.
- Cook the mixture in low heat for another 2 minutes. In case you need even more gravy, you can add a bit more water and heat the mixture for 1 more minute, tomato masala curry is ready to be served!
Enjoy the easy and yummy tomato curry with any vegetable rice, chapathi, poori, dosa or bread as you wish!
Hope you found this post on tomato masala curry recipe helpful!