Easy Tomato Moru Curry Kerala Style Recipe – Tomato Moru Curry Recipe With Coconut – Tomato Pulissery/ Thakkali Pulissery Recipe – How To Make Tomato Moru Curry/Thakkali Moru Curry For Rice
This easy tomato moru curry Kerala style recipe (tomato yogurt curry South Indian Style recipe) or thakkali moru curry recipe Kerala style also known as thakkali pulissery or tomato pulissery is made using fresh tomatoes, grind coconut, mild spices and fresh yogurt or curd. Tomato moru curry or tomato yogurt curry is so cooling and refreshing and makes a great yet simple and easy to make side dish or curry with rice for lunch or dinner.
This popular tomato yogurt curry in South India (in Kerala) is a simple and yummy ozhichu curry for rice (curry which can be served with rice by pouring this over the rice) for vegetarian lunch or dinner.
We have this easy moru curry with coconut which is made just with coconut, yogurt and spices where we don’t use any vegetables and so it is the basic moru curry recipe popular in Kerala. Then we also have this super simple moru curry without coconut where we don’t even use coconut but we just use fresh yogurt with mild spices to make the curry to be served with rice for lunch or dinner.
These kind of yogurt or coconut based curry recipes with mild spices are especially very good for summer months as they have a cooling effect.
Turmeric is one of the most important ingredient for this dish, you can see below organic turmeric from Amazon.
This tomato moru curry recipe or thakkali moru curry recipe is very simple, yummy, healthy and easy to make. We use grind coconut with spices as the base for this recipe, and we use little yogurt to thicken and add sourness to the dish which blends perfectly with the coconut gravy.
Just make sure you don’t heat the dish after adding the yogurt so as to avoid the yogurt curdling. We make the curry and at the end we add the yogurt to thicken it, so we don’t need to heat the dish after adding yogurt (maybe a few seconds you can heat so as to blend the yogurt nicely with the gravy, but be careful not to overheat and curdle the yogurt).
I recommend using lightly firm and fresh tomatoes if possible, as the very juicy and tender ones will get cooked so fast and blend with the curry changing the color of the dish. Any how, this shouldn’t be a problem if you don’t mind the color of the dish due to the mixing of tomatoes. If you use fresh and firm tomatoes, this wouldn’t happen as we only cook the tomatoes just enough enough to be soft and so it won’t change the color of the dish.
So here is how you can make this tomato moru curry following this tomato moru curry Kerala style recipe or thakkali moru curry recipe.
Tomato Moru Curry Kerala Style Recipe
Ingredients for Tomato Moru Curry Kerala Style Recipe
- Fresh tomatoes 3 medium sized
- grated coconut 2 Cups
- Yogurt 1 Cup
- Water 3 Cups
- green chilies 1 sliced lengthwise
- turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- fenugreek seeds powder 1/2 teaspoon
- salt as required
- Coconut oil 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- red chilies 4 to 5
- curry leaves a few
Instructions for tomato moru curry Kerala style recipe
- Wash the tomatoes and chop into medium sized pieces, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- I recommend to switch off the stove and keep the pan away from the stove, to cool off the seasoning before adding the tomatoes to the hot seasoning.
- Meanwhile grind the coconut and water in a blender until smooth. Keep this aside.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sliced green chilies to the seasoning, switch on the stove and cook in low heat for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the tomatoes are cooked and little soft.
- As the tomatoes are cooked, add the salt and grind coconut blend and mix well.
- Add all the spices and mix well, let it cook for another few minutes until the mixture starts to boil and the spices are well blended with the gravy. You can keep stirring in between so that the spices will mix well with the gravy.
- Switch off the stove and keep the pan away from heat.
- In a bowl, mix well the yogurt so there won’t be any lumps (this step of mixing the yogurt very well to avoid the lumps is very important).
- Add this smooth yogurt to the tomato coconut mixture and mix everything well so the yogurt will blend nicely with the tomato coconut gravy and spices.
- The tomato coconut curry with yogurt or tomato moru curry is ready to serve now!
Serve the tomato moru curry with rice for lunch or dinner along with other Kerala style vegetarian side dishes like avial (mixed vegetables with coconut), cherupayar thoran (green mung beans with coconut), vanpayar thoran (red cowpeas with coconut), cabbage thoran (cabbage with coconut), fried eggplant slices etc.
Hope you found this post on tomato coconut curry recipe or tomato moru curry Kerala style recipe (thakkali moru curry recipe) helpful!