This simple recipe for South Indian tomato rice without onion and garlic using fresh leaves is super easy to prepare and you can make the whole thing as a one pot dish using very simple ingredients like fresh tomatoes, fresh mint leaves and very few other ingredients including few spices.
The tomato rice without onion and garlic is so much flavorful and delicious from the use of fresh mint leaves and ginger, so just make sure not to skip using ginger and mint leaves.
I also recommend not to skip using green chilies recommended in the recipe, however if you are preparing for kids, you may leave out the green chilies.
This simple yet delicious tomato rice is colorful from the use of fresh tomatoes and turmeric powder and it is very rich with flavor from the use fresh mint leaves.
This easy and simple South Indian tomato rice recipe is one of the most easy and delicious South Indian style tomato rice recipe which you can easily follow to make tasty tomato rice with few ingredients, to make a delicious variety rice for lunch or dinner.
This easy and simple tomato rice recipe using mint leaves also can be easily packed for tiffin or lunch as this can be made pretty quickly in the busy mornings or you can prepare this tomato rice the night before and store in refrigerator so you can easily pack this for next day’s lunch.
The flavor of the rice mainly comes from the use of fresh mint leaves, which is very necessary to prepare this tomato rice.
We do not use many spices to prepare this simple tomato rice, but the rice is very delicious with lots of flavor from the mint leaves that we add to the rice, so make sure to use good quality fresh mint leaves and also fresh tomatoes to prepare this tomato rice.
As I mentioned, I have used only very few spices in this tomato rice recipe, which helps to keep this rice very simple, but this is so delicious and easy to prepare too.
However, the recipe is flexible and you may add some of your favorite spices and experiment with, if you like.
See more varieties of tomato rice recipes in this blog:
tomato rice recipe with garam masala
tomato rice recipe with bell peppers
So here is how you can make this easy, simple and flavorful tomato rice following this simple South Indian tomato rice recipe with mint leaves.
Simple South Indian Recipe For Tomato Rice Without Onion And Garlic Using Mint Leaves
- 1.5 cups white basmati rice
- 5 medium sized fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- fresh mint leaves a few, for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons grated or crushed fresh ginger
- 2 sliced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt adjust as needed
- 4 cups water
- Chop the tomatoes into small sized pieces, keep aside.
- Wash the rice, drain the water and keep aside separately.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds are roasted so you can feel the aroma of the fried seeds, add the chopped tomatoes and also the rice.
- Add enough salt and lightly saute the contents for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger and sliced green chilies and saute for another 1 more minute.
- Add all the remaining spice - turmeric powder and red chili powder, stir well and saute for another 1 minute.
- Add the chopped mint leaves, mix everything well and add the water, stir well again.
- Keep in high heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to very low, cover the pan with lid and cook for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of cooking, open the pan and see if the rice is cooked and soft and if the water is all absorbed.
- If the rice needs to be more soft, you may sprinkle a little more water, close the pan again and cook in low heat for another couple of more minutes.
- Gently stir the rice with a good quality spatula or fluff with a fork, and garnish with few fresh mint leaves.
- Serve the tomato rice hot with fresh yogurt or raita (indian style yogurt based salad) or any vegetarian curry as you wish.
Hope you found this post on recipe for South Indian tomato rice without onion and garlic using fresh mint leaves helpful in making easy, quick and yummy South Indian tomato rice with mint leaves for lunch or dinner.
Great post. Keep up good work. Good luck Share on Facebook.
Good job. 😀