Vellarikka moru curry recipe Kerala style is easy to follow and gives you a very simple, yummy and healthy vegetarian curry for rice, perfect for a simple everyday vegetarian meal for lunch or dinner.
Vellarikka moru curry is cucumbers in coconut yogurt gravy with spices, which is also known by the name vellarikka pulissery in many parts of Kerala.
This is a gravy or side dish to be served with rice along with other side dishes for rice, like cherupayar thoran, vanpayar thoran, cabbage thoran, Kerala style avial using mixed vegetables etc which will make simple yet great combinations with rice for lunch or dinner.
Vellearikka is the malayalam word for cucumber and moru is the malayalam word for buttermilk.
We can use buttermilk or yogurt to make this dish. In this recipe for vellarikka moru curry, we first cook the sliced cucumber in little water and salt and then use fresh yogurt, coconut and spices to make the gravy.
Vellarikka moru curry with coconut is a traditional Kerala recipe, which is also known by the name vellarikka pulissery recipe which indicates the light sourness of the dish from yogurt or buttermilk.
The vellearikka moru curry or cucumber yogurt curry with coconut and mild spices is especially popular during the summer months and also the beginning of fall/autumn season when the weather is still not very cold, as this cucumber curry gives a cooling effect on the body during the hot weather outside.
Yogurt and coconut based curries for rice are popular in Kerala and you can find pulissery recipe here which is the traditional yogurt and coconut curry for rice.
Moru curry without coconut is an easy and simple version of yogurt curry without coconut.
Thakkali moru curry is yet another simple yogurt coconut curry made with fresh tomatoes.
Cucumber and yogurt based dishes for rice are also popular in Kerala and you can find the most easy cucumber pachadi without coconut here, which is basically a very simple and yummy cucumber curry with yogurt which makes a simple side dish to be enjoyed with rice.
So here is how you can make yummy vellarikka moru curry or cucumber yogurt curry with coconut & spices following this easy vellarikka moru curry Kerala style recipe.
Vellarikka Moru Curry Recipe Kerala Style
- 1/2 of a medium sized cucumber
- 1 cup coconut grated or shredded
- 1 cup yogurt add more if needed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra water for cooking cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust as needed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 red chilies
- 1 string fresh curry leaves
- Peel the cucumber half and cut lengthwise, scrape out the seeds from the inside of the cucumber.
- Slice the cucumber in small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced cucumber and salt, saute for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the 1/4 cup of water to the pan, stir well, cover the pan with a lid and cook the cucumber in very low heat for about 8 minutes or until the cucumber slices are cooked enough.
- Meanwhile grind the coconut along with cumin seeds, green chilies and 2 cups of water in a food processor.
- In a separate bowl, beat the yogurt well to avoid any lumps.
- Once the cucumber is cooked enough, add the grind coconut mixture to the pan, stir well, keep the heat very low.
- Add the remaining spices to the pan - turmeric powder and red chili powder, mix everything well. Add more salt to the dish if needed.
- As the mixture starts to boil, immediately switch off the stove and remove the pan from the stove, keep the pan away from heat.
- Add the yogurt to the cucumber coconut mixture in the pan, mix everything well until all the ingredients are blended well. If you prefer to add more yogurt, you may add a little more yogurt.
- Cucumber yogurt curry with coconut and spices or vellarikka moru curry is ready to be served!
Hope you found this post on vellarikka moru curry or cucumber yogurt curry with coconut and spices helpful!