This vendakka pachadi recipe without coconut, which is popularly known as vendakka kichadi in South India is a Kerala style side dish for rice made using fresh fried okra, yogurt (coconut) and seasoning.
The most popular, traditional and authentic Kerala style vendakka pachadi is made of okras (vendakka) in a coconut yogurt based gravy with mild seasoning.
Though this is a yogurt based curry, this is served with rice for lunch or dinner as a simple side dish in small quantities, along with any other curry and other side dishes.
This vendakka pachadi recipe without coconut or okra in yogurt gravy is a much simple, easy to make and yet delicious version of the Kerala style vendakka pachadi, which is mostly known as vendakka kichadi.
Vendakka is the malayalam name for okra which is also known by the name lady finger or lady’s finger.
As we make the gravy using fresh yogurt or curd, make sure to use good quality fresh and thick yogurt as the taste of the dish will depend much on the quality of the yogurt used.
I used few spices including turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder while frying the okra which added much flavor, you may adjust the spices according to your preference (garam masala is not necessary, I used it as it is more tasty that way).
You may slightly adjust the amount of okra used and also the amount of yogurt used based on your preferences.
I prefer crispy stir fried okra in thick and creamy yogurt (I do not like the texture of mushy or slimy okra in little yogurt) and so the amount of ingredients entered are based on that. Many people do not like okra just because they are slimy in texture.
However, when okra is stir fried properly the sliminess will completely go away and the flavor and taste of stir fried okra is awesome.
So make sure to stir fry the okra until the sliminess go away, and also add the salt and other spices that you may be using, only once the okra is stir fried and free of the sliminess.
Also make sure to use fresh, thick and creamy yogurt for this recipe, which makes it so delicious.
You can find my post here for crispy stir fried okra recipe in detail.
Try this lady finger/okra curry with tomatoes too if you like okra recipes!
So here is how you can prepare this easy and delicious vendakka kichadi or pachadi with yogurt following this easy vendakka pachadi recipe without coconut.
Vendakka Pachadi Recipe Without Coconut Below
Vendakka Pachadi Recipe Without Coconut - Okra In Yogurt Gravy South Indian Kerala Style Recipe
- okra 3 to 4 small sized
- thick yogurt curd 1 cup (adjust as needed)
- salt as needed
- oil as needed to stir fry okra
- turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
- red chili powder ½ teaspoon
- garam masala powder ½ teaspoon optional
- coconut oil 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds ½ teaspoon
- curry leaves a few make sure no water in leaves
- dry red chilies 2 to 3 broken
- Wash all the okra and pat dry very well using a paper towel, make sure there is no water content left on any okra.
- Slice each okra in thin round slices and keep aside.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the sliced okra.
- Let the okra get stir fried in low to medium heat until the okra start turning light brown in color. As we are using only a small amount of okra here, it will get stir fried pretty quickly in few minutes time, but make sure not to stir the okra before it starts to turn brown, as the sliminess will increase if you stir frequently.
- Once the okra start to turn brown in color, you can gently flip the okra so the other side too will get browned.
- Once the okra is lightly browned and all the sliminess is gone, add salt and stir gently.
- Add all spices - turmeric powder, red chili powder and also garam masala powder (if you are using it), gently mix and let it stir fry for another 2 more minutes in low heat.
- Transfer the fried okra to a separate dish or bowl, keep this aside.
- In a separate serving bowl (large enough to hold the entire dish), whisk the yogurt very well so there are no lumps, add salt as needed, keep this also aside.
- To prepare the seasoning, heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a separate pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add broken dried red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds. Keep the prepared seasoning aside.
- Transfer the fried okra to the whisked yogurt and gently mix to blend with the yogurt.
- Pour the prepared seasoning also to the mixture of yogurt and okra, gently mix.
- Vendakka pachadi without coconut (vendakka kichadi) or okra in yogurt gravy is ready to be served,
Hope you found this post on vendakka pachadi recipe without coconut or vendakka kichadi helpful in making easy and yummy okra in yogurt gravy!