Instant Pot Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) With Sweet Potatoes
Instant pot rajma or red kidney beans masala curry with potatoes, spices and Indian spices makes a very delicious, nutritious side dish with rice or breads.
- 2 cups dry red kidney beans rajma beans (I used light red kidney beans)
- salt as needed
- 4 cups water plus more water for soaking the beans
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes diced into cubes
- 3 medium sized potatoes diced into cubes
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste or use same amount of tomato paste or use 2 tablespoons of any tomato based sauce
- ½ cup thick coconut milk or use heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder or use 2 fresh garlic cloves crushed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or paprika optional
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder or garam masala
For seasoning (optional):
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds or cumin seeds
- 2 red chilies dried broken
- 1 tablespoon minced onions or shallots
Wash the beans very well and soak in enough water overnight or for about 10 to 12 hours.
Once soaked for enough time, discard the water used for soaking the beans and rinse the beans thoroughly in water for 2 to 3 times more.
Transfer the soaked and washed beans to the instant pot.
Add the diced potatoes and sweet potatoes also to the instant pot.
Add the water, salt, spices and tamarind (or tomato paste or tomato based sauce) also to the instant pot, stir everything well.
Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position, press 'pressure cook' button and set the timer for 30 minutes to cook the beans in high pressure. Once the cooking is done, press the cancel button and wait for a natural pressure release.You may do a careful, controlled and gradual manual pressure relase after about 15 minutes of natural pressure release, if you want to make it faster.Once the pressure is all released, carefully open the lid of the instant pot, stir the contents (the sweet potatoes will be cooked very soft and it will melt in with the gravy).
Add the 2 tablespoons of oil and coconut milk, stir in.
Press saute button and simmer the contents for a couple of minutes so the coconut milk will blend in with the curry. Now the curry is prepared, transfer it from the hot instant pot to a cool place so it won't cook further.Now you can prepare the seasoning too, if you wish to add the seasoning!
To make the seasoning (optional):
Heat the one tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds (or cumin seeds).Once the mustard seeds splutter (if using cumin seeds, they just need to lightly brown), add the broken dried chilies and also the minced onions.
Once the minced onions are lightly fried, pour this prepared seasoning over the prepared red kidney beans curry (rajma curry).
Stir in the seasoning with the curry gently, serve the delicious rajma curry with cooked white basmati rice or brown rice (any rice of your choice) or with Indian flatbreads like chapathi, poori, naan bread etc as you wish!
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 49mg | Potassium: 921mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 8160IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 4mg