Moong Dal Rice Recipe Using Yellow Mung Beans, Coconut & White Basmati Rice -Simple One Pot Yellow Split Moong Dal Rice Kid Friendly Recipe (Without Onion & Garlic)
This easy yellow moong dal rice recipe without onions and garlic using white basmati rice, coconut and yellow moong dal or yellow mung beans with mild spices (which is the green skin removed yellow mung beans) is easy, delicious one pot meal which is kid friendly too!
The main ingredients you need for this easy yellow moong dal rice recipe are yellow moong dal/mung beans, white basmati rice, few spices, salt, little oil and water.
I have also used some fresh grated coconut as it adds much flavor to the dish. I didn’t use onion or garlic for this easy moong dal rice recipe, but if you are skipping coconut you may add onions and garlic to the recipe.
You can also do the tadka (seasoning) separately by frying some mustard seeds or cumin seeds, curry leaves, and red chili peppers in oil, and add it to the rice after the preparation of the rice, but I added them at the beginning so we don’t have to do it at last again.
As I already mentioned above, the dal that we use for this rice recipe is yellow mung beans or yellow moong dal as known in India.
This yellow mung beans is actually the skin removed version of green mung beans. The whole green mung beans (with skin) is also used in many recipes in India. You can see some of the green mung beans recipes here.
You can also try adding more spices like coriander powder or garam masala powder or cayenne pepper or black pepper if you want a spicy version of the dal rice.
If you don’t want the coconut flavor or if you don’t have any grated coconuts or coconut flakes with you, you can simply omit that part too, but in that case try adding more spices that you like and also chopped and fried onions and garlic.
We use a little oil and also ghee (or butter) to make this moong dal rice more delicious. You can use just oil instead of ghee or butter if you want to make this dish vegan friendly.
I prefer to use ghee for this easy moong dal rice recipe, because using ghee instead of oil will take the dish to the next level in terms of flavor and make it more delicious, also it is healthy to give ghee for kids (if they have no milk allergy).
Traditionally ghee is used more in India for kids recipes, as ghee is good for kids provided they have no dairy allergy (its said that ghee is good for brain development in kids as it is made of lot of good fats).
Here is the recipe for this easy, simple moong dal/yellow mung beans rice which anyone can prepare in a hurry!
Easy Yellow Moong Dal Rice Recipe Below
Moong Dal Rice Recipe With Coconut - How To Make Yellow Moong Dal/Yellow Mung Bean Coconut Rice
- 1 cup White Basmati rice
- 1 cup Yellow Moong Dal skin removed yellow mung beans
- 1 cup grated coconut or coconut flakes
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust a sneeded
- 2 teaspoons crushed ginger optional
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 red chilies optional
- 1 string curry leaves optional
- Wash the rice and yellow moong dal, soak in water for about half an hour (this is an optional step and you can skip this step if you are in a hurry, but soaking adds softness to the rice and dal).
- After half an hour drain the water and lightly rinse the rice and dal again, keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and when the oil is hot enough, splutter the cumin seeds and then fry the red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the crushed ginger to the oil and fry till slightly browned.
- Add the ghee, rice and moong dal also to the pan and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the coconut, salt and fry again for few seconds.
- Add the spices - turmeric powder and red chili powder and mix well, saute for another 1 minute.
- When the mixture is hot, add add the water and salt and bring it to a boil.
- When the water starts boiling, mix everything gently and then close the pan and cook for 10 minutes in low heat.
- After the 10 minutes, open the pan and see if the water is all absorbed. If there is still water, keep the pan opened cook for about one minute so that the remaining water will get absorbed. The simple and tasty dal rice is ready to serve hot! Salads, yogurt, raitha, pickles or any vegetarian side dishes can go great with this simple dal rice, but if you don't have any, you can have it as it is, and it is really a one pot meal you can enjoy without anything on the side.
Above you can see the picture of rice before its cooked, the below image shows the moog dal rice cooked and ready to be transferred to the serving plates!
Hope you found this post on easy and simple yellow moong dal rice recipe using yellow mung beans and coconut helpful!