Onion Tomato Raita Recipe For Biryani, Pulao, Chapathi & poori – Simple Indian Style Onion Tomato Raita Recipe – How To Make Onion Tomato Raita – Indian Style Creamy Onion Tomato Salad Recipe Using Yogurt
Onion tomato raita recipe for biryani and pulao also makes a simple and easy to prepare yet creamy and delicious side dish with chapathi, poori or bhatura. Onion tomato raita is Indian style yogurt based salad with fresh onions and tomatoes, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves, which is a very cooling and refreshing yogurt salad.
If you are having chapati or poori, you can just enjoy this raita with poori or chapathi, as you won’t even need another curry or gravy for a side dish. With biryani or pulao or any dish which is usually made with spices, raita which is mainly made using fresh yogurt or curd is very cooling and refreshing.
Onion tomato raita is one of the most popular raita varieties and you can easily and quickly prepare this raita in very few minutes. Make sure to use fresh and clean vegetables as we are using raw veggies to make the raita.
As you can guess, fresh yogurt, onions and tomatoes are the main ingredients to make onion tomato raita at home. I also add fresh chopped cilantro leaves (coriander leaves) and a pinch of dry roasted cumin seeds powder (make sure to dry roast the cumin seed powder prior to adding to the raita) to add more flavor to the onion tomato raita.
There is really not any cooking involved in making this onion tomato raita other than the roasting of cumin seeds powder, and so the five minutes of cooking time shown in the recipe is for roasting the cumin seeds powder. The remaining 10 minutes of preparation includes whisking the yogurt, washing and chopping the veggies and mixing all ingredients until well blended and garnishing with cilantro leaves.
I always use a good amount of creamy yogurt to make the onion tomato raita which I highly recommend to make the best, cooling and refreshing raita. Always use thick and creamy yogurt for the most delicious onion tomato raita!
So here is how you can make this simple and delicious onion tomato raita for biryani, pulao, chapathi, poori or bhatura following this easy onion tomato raita recipe.
- Onion 1 medium sized
- tomatoes 1 medium sized
- thick yogurt curd 4 cups
- green chilies 1 optional
- chopped cilantro leaves coriander leaves 1 tablespoon
- roasted cumin seeds powder 1/2 teaspoon optional
- Salt a little
- Wash the onion, peel and slice thinly in small sized pieces (not very long).
- Wash the slice the tomatoes in small sized pieces.
- Gently rinse the sliced onions and tomatoes again in fresh water, drain the water and transfer chopped onions and tomatoes to a large bowl.
- Slice the green chilies and add this to the pan, avoid using the green chilies if making for kids.
- Add the salt and roasted cumin seeds powder, mix well.
- In another small bowl, beat the yogurt very well without any lumps.
- Add the beaten yogurt to the bowl containing chopped onions and tomatoes, mix everything very well. Now the onion tomato raita is ready to serve, you can transfer this to a serving bowl.
- Once the raita is transferred to the serving bowl, add the chopped cilantro leaves to the raita for garnishing or you can gently mix in the leaves if you wish.
- Serve the refreshing and cooling onion tomato raita with biryai, pulao or any spicy rice variety or with chapathi or poori as you wish.
Hope you found this post on onion tomato raita recipe for biryani helpful in making easy, simple and delicious raita for biryani or pulao or chapati or poori as you wish.