You can learn here how to make pancakes without baking powder or baking soda using this easy recipe. All you need is all purpose flour, eggs, milk, oil or butter( and sugar as desired) to make these homemade pancakes without baking soda or baking powder. I made this even without vanilla extract and it was delicious, but you may add a little vanilla extract or cinnamon powder for flavor if you wish. To get the best texture for your pancakes, you can use all purpose flour to make these pancakes, however you can also use wheat flour.
Almost all pancake recipes uses baking powder or baking soda and vanilla extract, however you can also make wheat flour pancakes without baking powder or baking soda following this easy pancake recipe without baking powder.
I tried this recipe with all purpose flour and also wheat flour to make the pancakes (wheat atta flour is the kind of flour used to make Indian flatbread), as the wheat flour is more healthy, but for perfect texture, I recommend you to stick with all purpose flour.
You can use unbleached all purpose flour for the best results, to make these pancakes, as this kind of flour is perfect to make any pancakes including these pancakes without baking powder or baking soda.
You may also try super fine cake flour to make the pancakes for a more fine and soft texture.
How To Make Easy Pancakes Without Baking Powder?
Pancakes without baking powder usually comes out little dense in texture though they are delicious.
There are different ways to make pancakes without using baking powder. One way is to make thin crepes which will be thin usually.
Another way is to make pancakes like this three ingredient banana pancakes without baking powder which will be naturally soft due to the addition of bananas (though most popular banana pancakes are made with baking powder) and I really love these banana pancakes without baking powder and even my kids love them.
However regular pancakes will turn out quite dense and if you do not like the dense texture of pancakes made without baking powder or baking soda, there are ways you can make fluffy pancakes without baking powder.
Using Self rising flour
One easy way to make fluffy pancakes without using additional baking powder is to use self rising flour.
Since the self rising flour comes with baking powder, you do not need to add any extra baking powder.
So just using self rising flour in place of flour if you do have self rising flour at home or you can buy some so that you do not have to add the baking powder every time you make the pancakes.
By Adding beaten egg whites to the batter at the end
If you do not want to use self rising flour or baking powder, an easy way to make fluffy pancakes without baking powder is to separate the egg whites and egg yolks and whip the egg whites separately and fold that into the batter made of other ingredients.
The addition of whipped egg whites naturally make the pancakes fluffy.
The pancakes without baking powder or baking soda taste the best when they are enjoyed as soon as they are made, so try to serve these yummy pancakes while they are still warm!
Tips To Make The Best Pancakes Without Baking Powder
In this recipe for pancakes without baking powder, we make pancakes by adding beaten egg whites to the prepared batter mixture to make the final batter. However there are certain things to keep in mind when you make the pancakes in this way.
You can separate the egg whites from the egg yolks in many ways but I always just break the narrow tip of the eggs a little and let the white out while saving the yolk inside. A little white mixed with yolks is fine for this recipe, but make sure there is no trace of yolk in the whites you separated.
If this method is difficult for you to do, you may use a curved slotted spoon where you can gently break the egg inside the slotted spoon so just whites will fall through the slots in the spoon and thus you can separate the whites from the yolks.
You can also use store bough egg separator to separate the egg yolks from whites.
If there is any other method that you prefer to separate the egg yolks from whites, you can follow your own method and you can also share any tips in the comment section.
Once you have separated egg yolks and white, first make the wet mixture of ingredients using the egg yolks and other ingredients as mentioned in the recipe and then make the egg white mixture by beating the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. This is important because once you have prepared the egg white mixture, you have to immediately mix it with the rest of the ingredients to make the batter, or it won’t hold well and the result won’t be as good.
Also while you beat the egg whites to form soft peaks, I recommend using an electric mixer as it does the job so easily and fast. I whipped the egg whites using an electric mixer for about 2 to 3 minutes (starting from the lowest speed and proceeding to higher speeds) until soft peaks are formed. This step is also very important since the texture of the pancakes will depend on how well you whip the egg whites.
If all these steps seem difficult for you, the best and easy method to make pancakes without using baking powder is by using self rising flour because self rising flour already have added baking powder in it so you will not need to add any extra baking powder. However if your intend is to avoid using any baking powder, self rising flour may not be an option since it contains baking powder and so you can use this recipe to make easy pancakes without baking powder.
Below you can see the detailed recipe for making pancakes without baking powder.
Pancakes Without Baking Powder Or Baking Soda
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons oil I used olive oil
- butter or oil as needed to grease the pan and cook the pancakes
To make the batter
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, salt and also the sugar until well mixed.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites carefully and transfer the egg whites to a different bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolks and add the milk and oil to this, mix everything very well.
- Add the wet ingredients mixture (do not add the egg whites now) to the dry flour mixture slowly, and mix well until well combined and the batter is formed without any lumps.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites (make sure there is no trace of egg yolks in this) using an electric mixer until soft peaks are formed. I whipped the egg whites using the electric mixer for about 2 to 3 minutes starting from the lowest speed and proceeding to the highest speed gradually. Immediately fold in this beaten egg white mixture to the batter and mix well to combine evenly in the batter. Once you have prepared this pancake batter, you have to make the pancakes immediately for best results.
To make the pancakes
- Heat an iron skillet or pan (or use non stick pan) and grease with little oil or butter.
- Add one ladle of batter to the hot pan and let it cook for a minute or until the bottom side is cooked and bubbles appear on top side.
- Gently flip the pancake and cook the other side too, which will cook faster. You may add a little butter if needed which will make the pancake even more delicious.
- Once the pancake is cooked, transfer it to the serving dish, similarly cook all pancakes until the batter is finished. Enjoy the pancakes hot with butter or maple syrup or any of your favorite toppings as you wish!
Last Updated on