You can learn here how to make pancakes without baking powder or baking soda or vanilla extract. All you need is flour, eggs, milk, butter and few other basic ingredients.
If you want the best texture for your pancakes, you can use all purpose flour to make these pancakes, however you can also use wheat flour.
Almost all pancake recipes uses baking powder or baking soda and vanilla extract, however you can also make wheat flour pancakes without baking powder or baking soda following this easy pancake recipe without baking powder.
I used wheat flour to make the pancakes (wheat atta flour is the kind of flour used to make Indian flatbread), as it is more healthy, but for perfect texture, stick with all purpose flour.
You can use unbleached all purpose flour if you like, to make these pancakes which will be prefect to make any pancakes including these pancakes without baking powder or baking soda.
You may also try super fine cake flour to make the pancakes for a more fine and soft texture.
How To Make Fluffy Pancakes Without Baking Powder?
Pancakes without baking powder usually comes out little dense in texture though they are delicious.
There are different ways to make pancakes without using baking powder. One way is to make thin crepes which will be thin usually.
Another way is to make pancakes like this three ingredient banana pancakes without baking powder which will be naturally soft due to the addition of bananas (though most popular banana pancakes are made with baking powder) and I really love these banana pancakes without baking powder and even my kids love them.
However regular pancakes will turn out quite dense and if you do not like the dense texture of pancakes made without baking powder or baking soda, there are ways you can make fluffy pancakes without baking powder.
Self rising flour
One easy way to make fluffy pancakes without using additional baking powder is to use self rising flour.
Since the self rising flour comes with baking powder, you do not need to add any extra baking powder.
So just using self rising flour in place of flour if you do have self rising flour at home or you can buy some so that you do not have to add the baking powder every time you make the pancakes.
Adding beaten egg whites to the batter at the end
If you do not want to use self rising flour or baking powder, an easy way to make fluffy pancakes without baking powder is to separate the egg whites and egg yolks and whip the egg whites separately and fold that into the batter made of other ingredients.
The addition of whipped egg whites naturally make the pancakes fluffy.
The pancakes without baking powder or baking soda taste the best when they are enjoyed as soon as they are made, so try to serve these yummy pancakes while they are still warm!
So here is how you can make pancakes without baking powder following this easy recipe for pancakes without baking powder and baking soda.
Pancakes Without Baking Powder And Baking Soda
To make the batter
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, salt and also the sugar until well mixed.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites carefully and transfer the egg whites to a different bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolks and add the milk and oil to this, mix everything very well.
- Add the wet ingredients mixture (do not add the egg whites now) to the dry flour mixture slowly, and mix well until well combined and the batter is formed without any lumps.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites (make sure there is no trace of egg yolks in this) using an electric mixer until soft peaks are formed. Immediately fold in this beaten egg white mixture to the batter and mix well to combine evenly in the batter.
To make the pancakes
- Heat an iron skillet or pan (or use non stick pan) and grease with oil or butter.
- Add one ladle of batter to the hot pan, add a tablespoon of butter of ghee and let it cook for a minute or until the bottom side is cooked and bubbles appear on top.
- Gently flip the pancake and cook the other side too, which will cook faster.
- Once the pancake is cooked, transfer it to the serving dish, similarly cook all pancakes until the batter is finished. Enjoy the pancakes hot with butter or maple syrup or any of your favorite toppings as you wish!
Hope you found this post on how to make pancakes without baking powder or baking soda helpful in making easy and yummy pancakes without using baking powder.