Perfect Oats Porridge Recipe On Stove Top – Best Oats Porridge Recipe – How To Prepare Oats Porridge/Oatmeal Porridge
Oats porridge is easy to prepare on stove, microwave or in instant pot (I do not have a recipe for instant pot oatmeal yet!) and if you prepare the oatmeal porridge in advance you can save it in the refrigerator or even freeze it and use later for busy weekday mornings.
Can you make porridge with rolled oats
I used this old fashioned rolled oats (from Quaker oats) to make this oats porridge.
You may use quick cooking oats or rolled oats to make oats porridge, the only thing is that rolled oats will take slightly more time to cook and will have a more chewy texture but it is so easy to make the oatmeal porridge whether you use porridge oats or rolled oats.
If you love oats porridge, it makes an easy, healthy, delicious breakfast option which mostly kids will also like. The best thing about oatmeal porridge is that it is so flexible to prepare it based on what you like or what you have in hand, even to suit the liking of each family member as you can add everyone’s favorite topping to the basic porridge that you prepared, as they like.
What Are The Different Kinds Of Popular Toppings For Oats Porridge?
If you prepare the basic oats porridge, you can add different kinds of toppings and add even different flavors, sweeteners or even make it savory if you wish, to accommodate individual preferences. While I love the apple cinnamon oatmeal the most, I know there are many of us who love a lot of different other toppings for their oatmeal.
Some of the popular toppings include fresh fruits like apples, strawberries (or any kind of berries like raspberries, blackberries etc), bananas, peaches etc. You can add dried fruits like raisins, apricots, dried peaches, dates etc which will all add natural sweetness to the prepared oatmeal.
Instead of white sugar, you may use brown sugar, maple syrup, honey etc to add more sweetness to the oatmeal. You can also add a variety of healthy nuts and seeds to make your oatmeal crunchy, if you like a crunchy texture for your oatmeal.
Some popular choices of nuts and seeds for oatmeal include walnuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios, toasted pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, the super healthy chia seeds or flax seeds etc. You may also add in nut butters like cashew butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter etc if you like. You can also add toasted coconut flakes if you like and add fruits like pineapple (fresh, canned or dried), if you want a tropical flavor!
Or you can always enjoy it just plain as it is which is very delicious on its own!
Can you make oats porridge vegan?
Yes! To make this oats porridge recipe vegan, you may cook the oatmeal using water and once the oatmeal is almost cooked, add you favorite vegan dairy free milk like coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk etc.
If you love oatmeal, see more similar posts in this blog here:
So here is how you can prepare the perfect, basic oatmeal on stove top following this easy, simple and perfect oats porridge recipe, so you can enjoy it as it is, or add your favorite toppings and enjoy it as you wish.
Easy, Simple And Delicious Oats Porridge Recipe Below
Oats Porridge Recipe On Stove Top, Best, Perfect Oats Porridge/Oatmeal Porridge Recipe
- 1.5 cups oatmeal (I used old fashioned steel cut oatmeal)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar adjust as needed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- chilled milk as needed, optional
Few Recommendations For Toppings (optional)
- chopped apples as needed
- raisins, chopped nuts, cut strawberries, bananas etc as needed
- Add the oatmeal, water and milk to a medium sized saucepan.
- Also add the sugar and cinnamon powder and mix well.
- Heat the contents and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally to avoid the mixture burning at the bottom of the pan. As the mixture gets heated and is nearing to boiling, you will need to stir more frequently. This will take around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 3 minutes or until the oats is cooked and soft. Make sure to keep stirring or the oatmeal porridge may burn at the bottom of the pan.
- Once the porridge is cooked, allow it to cool down a bit and if needed, you can add a little more chilled milk if its more thick for your preference (adding chilled milk will help with cooling down the oatmeal fast and also reduces the chances of thickening it further). Delicious oatmeal is ready to serve, you can serve the oatmeal warm with your favorite toppings for best results!
Hope you found this post on oats porridge recipe helpful in making easy and delicious oats porridge for a quick and easy breakfast!