This easy homemade vegan sweet potato soup recipe from scratch uses fresh sweet potatoes and coconut milk to make the soup and it makes simple, easy and yummy vegetarian/vegan sweet potato soup perfect for fall or winter.
As this is a vegetarian/vegan soup recipe which is so easy to make, you may use this sweet potato soup recipe in your vegan Thanksgiving dinner menu if you wish.
I have this easy pumpkin soup recipe here which can be easily veganized if you replace butter with vegan butter or oil.
This sweet potato soup recipe is also healthy vegan soup recipe which may be included in your diet.
Sweet potatoes are starchy vegetables which also have so much nutritional value. They are mildly sweet, but the soup I made is not sweet since I also used black pepper and red chili pepper to make it quite spicy.
If you don’t want the soup to be spicy, reduce the amount of both black pepper and red chili pepper powders or use just one of them preferably black pepper powder.
I used coconut milk to add flavor to the soup and I also used sesame seeds to add crunchiness. The addition of chopped garlic makes this soup perfect! Adding sesame seeds give crunchiness to the soup, but it is completely optional you can omit this if you don’t want it.
The soup is vegan and you can adjust the flavors and spices and make it your own.
So here is how I made this delicious vegan soup from sweet potatoes following this easy vegan sweet potato soup recipe.
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Recipe Easy
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 6 cloves garlic may reduce the amount slightly
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ground or powdered
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- Cook the sweet potato really well, peel and puree it in a blender. You can add 1 cup of water while blending it. ( I cooked the sweet potato in a pressure cooker prior to pureeing it).
- Heat oil in a pan and slightly roast the sesame seeds if you are using the sesame seeds. If you are not vegan, you may use butter instead of oil.
- Add crushed or finely chopped garlic to the oil and fry it for a few seconds.
- Add the black pepper and red chili powder to the oil and mix well.
- Add the pureed sweet potato to the pan, add salt and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk, stir everything well and cook in low flame. Make sure you stir in between.
- When the soup is really hot and starts to boil, switch off the stove. You don't have to boil it, you can stop cooking the soup when it starts to boil. Serve the delicious sweet potato soup while it is still warm!
Hope you like this post on vegan sweet potato soup recipe using fresh sweet poatotoes!