Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Recipe – How To Make Sweet Potato Soup From Scratch Using Fresh Sweet Potatoes
This easy vegan sweet potato soup recipe uses fresh sweet potatoes and coconut milk to make the soup and it makes simple, easy and yummy vegetarian/vegan sweet potato soup perfect for fall or winter.
As this is a vegetarian/vegan soup recipe which is so easy to make, you may use this sweet potato soup recipe in your vegan Thanksgiving dinner menu if you wish.
I have this easy pumpkin soup recipe here which can be easily veganized if you replace butter with vegan butter or oil.
This sweet potato soup recipe is also healthy vegan soup recipe which may be included in your diet.
Sweet potatoes are starchy vegetables which also have so much nutritional value. They are mildly sweet, but the soup I made is not sweet since I also used black pepper and red chili pepper to make it quite spicy.
If you don’t want the soup to be spicy, reduce the amount of both black pepper and red chili pepper powders or use just one of them preferably black pepper powder.
I used coconut milk to add flavor to the soup and I also used sesame seeds to add crunchiness. The addition of chopped garlic makes this soup perfect! Adding sesame seeds give crunchiness to the soup, but it is completely optional you can omit this if you don’t want it.
The soup is vegan and you can adjust the flavors and spices and make it your own.
So here is how I made this delicious vegan soup from sweet potatoes following this easy vegan sweet potato soup recipe.
Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Recipe Below
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Recipe - Easy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 6 cloves garlic may reduce the amount slightly
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ground or powdered
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- Cook the sweet potato really well, peel and puree it in a blender. You can add 1 cup of water while blending it. ( I cooked the sweet potato in a pressure cooker prior to pureeing it).
- Heat oil in a pan and slightly roast the sesame seeds if you are using the sesame seeds. If you are not vegan, you may use butter instead of oil.
- Add crushed or finely chopped garlic to the oil and fry it for a few seconds.
- Add the black pepper and red chili powder to the oil and mix well.
- Add the pureed sweet potato to the pan, add salt and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk, stir everything well and cook in low flame. Make sure you stir in between.
- When the soup is really hot and starts to boil, switch off the stove. You don't have to boil it, you can stop cooking the soup when it starts to boil. Serve the delicious sweet potato soup while it is still warm!
If you do not want to keep this vegan, you may use butter instead of oil for a richer flavor. You can also use coconut oil to make this soup more delicious with its rich flavor. By using coconut oil, you can still keep this soup vegan but add the delicious and rich natural flavor of coconut oil to the soup.
I used fresh sweet potatoes which is cooked and then pureed. But you may also use canned sweet potatoes (cooking time may vary if you use canned ones).
Adding sesame seeds is optional, but I highly recommend adding the seeds if you do not have any sesame allergy or any seeds or nut allergy, as the seeds make the soup crunchy, more healthy and add even more flavor to the soup.
Hope you like this post on vegan sweet potato soup recipe using fresh sweet poatotoes!