This tomato cabbage soup recipe is easy to follow and you get a very delicious tomato cabbage soup which you may enjoy as part of a vegetarian weight loss recipe if you are on a vegetarian diet and trying to lose weight.
You can enjoy this vegan/vegetarian tomato cabbage soup for lunch or dinner as you wish.
I garnished the tomato cabbage soup with two red chilies and enjoyed it with the soup, but I am not adding the red chilies to the soup recipe here as they will make the soup quite too spicy 🙂
This tomato cabbage soup recipe uses fresh cabbage, tomatoes, onions and herbs and spices so this is a low carb and low fat tomato cabbage soup recipe as well.
We use a spoon of tomato ketchup to add flavor to the soup, so just make sure that you use either homemade tomato ketchup which is healthy, or buy a brand which is not overloaded with sugar or other ingredients which will adversely affect the weight loss efforts.
See my post on easy and spicy oatmeal soup recipe which is also a healthy soup recipe for those who are on a vegetarian diet.
And make sure not to use too much of tomato ketchup, as we need only one tablespoon of ketchup in this recipe.
Other than the one tablespoon of tomato ketchup we use only fresh cabbage, tomatoes, onions and herbs and spices,and this soup is simple and easy to make but very very delicious!
So here is how you can make this yummy and easy tomato cabbage soup following this easy homemade tomato cabbage soup recipe.
Tomato Cabbage Soup Vegan Recipe
- Cabbage 1/4th of a medium sized cabbage
- tomatoes 2 to 3 medium sized
- tomato ketchup 1 tablespoon
- sat as needed
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- dried oregano leaves 2 tablespoons
- fresh cilantro leaves coriander leaves chopped 2 tablespoons
- onion 1 small sized
- water 2 cups add more if needed
- black pepper powder 1 teaspoon
- garlic powder 1 teaspoon
- Slice the cabbage in thin long slices, keep aside.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes in small sized pieces, keep aside separately.
- Peel and chop the onion in thin long slices.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the sliced onions.
- Saute the onions lightly, add salt and garlic, stir well.
- Add the sliced cabbage to the pan, stir well and saute lightly for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and dried oregano flakes to the pan, stir well and saute for another 2 more minutes.
- Close the pan with lid and cook in low to medium heat for about 8 minutes until the cabbage is cooked.
- After 8 minutes of cooking, stir the contents well, add the tomato ketchup and water, bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pan and cook the contents for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- After 2 to 3 minutes of cooking, open the pan, stir again and add the chopped cilantro leaves and sprinkle the black pepper powder, serve hot!
Hope you found this post on tomato cabbage soup recipe helpful!