This easy eggplant stir fry recipe is made using small eggplants (also known by the name brinjals).
This eggplant stir fry is also known as brinjal stir fry and this is popular in South India. The brinjal stir fry Kerala recipe is also known as brinjal mezhukkupuratti which simply means stir fried eggplants.
The important thing with cooking eggplants is to cook the eggplants well or it will have a rubbery texture and if you overcook it, the eggplant will be mushy which won’t taste good unless you are preparing a dish that calls for mashed eggplants like this Punjabi style baingan barta where eggplant is roasted in the oven and mashed to make the dish.
But in stir fry recipes like this eggplant stir fry, you need to cook the eggplants well, but it shouldn’t get mushy. So the trick is to get the eggplants cooked just enough so they will not be rubbery, but cooked and soft, but not mushy.
I have used chilies in this easy eggplant stir fry recipe which makes this a spicy eggplant stir fry recipe too, but if you avoid using the chilies, it will still be yummy but it won’t be spicy.
As I mentioned above we use small eggplants or brinjals for this easy eggplant stir fry recipe. From my experience, I have found that the small eggplants or brinjals tastes the best when used in stir fries and they get cooked fast too without any bitter taste or rubbery texture.
This easy eggplant stir fry recipe is vegetarian/vegan recipe and this is perfect to be used as a side dish with rice for lunch or dinner.
As this is a stir fry recipe, it is a dry eggplant dish without any gravy. You can find my recipes on easy fried eggplant curry here and creamy eggplant curry South Indian style recipe here, both of which are very delicious eggplant curry recipes which uses large eggplants.
This easy eggplant stir fry recipe is very easy to follow, just make sure to use small eggplants/brinjals for this stir fry recipe and follow the instructions given here. If you don’t like spicy food, just avoid using the chilies.
So here is how I made this delicious eggplant stir fry following this easy eggplant stir fry recipe.
Easy Eggplant Stir Fry Recipe Below
Easy Eggplant Stir Fry Recipe, South Indian Style Brinjal Stir Fry/Kathirikkai Stir Fry Recipe
- 5 small eggplants/brinjal
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (or use cumin seeds as I did)
- 5 dry red chilies optional
- 1 string curry leaves a few
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons water just enough to sprinkle
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Wash the eggplants and slice them in long medium sized pieces. You can also soak the sliced eggplants in enough water and salt for about 10 to 15 minutes to get rid of the slight bitterness. After soaking, you can discard the water used for soaking the eggplants.
- Rinse the sliced eggplants in fresh water and pat dry using a paper towel.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds (or cumin seeds)
- When the mustard seeds splutter (if using cumin seeds wait for few seconds until they get lightly roasted), add red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced eggplants, stir fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt, garlic powder and sprinkle the water, cover the pan and cook for about 6 minutes or until the eggplants are cooked. Make sure you do not overcook the eggplants, as it will turn mushy if you overcook the eggplants.
- Once the eggplants are cooked, add all the remaining spices, mix well and stir fry for about another 2 to 3 minutes. The delicious eggplant stir fry or brinjal stir fry with spices is ready to be served!
Hope you found this post on easy eggplant stir fry recipe helpful!