This instant pot chickpea curry using canned chickpeas is one of the most easy chickpea recipes ever! You can just dump all ingredients to the instant pot and let the instant pot do the job.
Also known as chana masala or chole bhatura, chickpea curry with Indian spices is so popular in India, it is often served with flatbreads like chapathi, nan, bhatura etc.
You can see here the short video I have created to show you the visuals of making this easy chickpea curry using instant pot, which is very easy and simple to follow so even beginners can easily make the chickpea curry in their instant pot.
Instant pot chickpea curry YouTube video below (this video is also embedded in the recipe card)
However this is a very simple and easy version of instant pot chana masala (chickpea masala) using canned chickpeas in instant pot.
For a more authentic recipe, try this instant pot chana masala recipe.
Since we use canned chickpeas to make this chickpea curry, we can quickly and easily make this instant pot chickpea curry without soaking the chickpeas in advance!
I have a small video for this easy instant pot chickpea curry where I just dump all ingredients to make this easy and delicious chickpea curry!
This instant pot chickpea curry (garbanzo beans curry) is vegetarian but its not vegan as we use heavy cream in its preparations.
To make this dish vegan, you can easily replace the heavy cream with coconut milk or cashew cream, which will be very delicious as well.
So if you love garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and love to make the most easy and delicious chickpea curry, try this most easy instant pot chickpea curry in your instant pot.
I used canned chickpeas to make this instant pot chickpea curry.
If you are using dried chickpeas, you will need to soak the chickpeas in advance and/or cook for longer time in the instant pot.
More instant pot curry recipes:
- instant pot tomato curry
- instant pot palak paneer
- instant pot black bean spinach curry
- instant pot green mung bean curry
- instant pot moong dal fry
- instant pot eggplant curry
- instant pot potato curry
- instant pot vegetable curry
- instant pot sambar
This instant pot recipe is not only a very easy to prepare, quick one pot dish which you can make easily in the instant pot with minimal work, but this recipe is also very flexible.
I have used my favorite spices in this Indian style chickpea curry recipe, but you may also adjust the spices and experiment if you like.
The amounts of spices is also slightly adjustable and you just need to follow a rough amount.
In the recipe video for this recipe, you can in fact see that I am just dumping the ingredients to the pot without measuring much :), though I would give a measurement for all ingredients for you to follow to make the perfect and delicious chickpea curry in your instant pot.
So here is how you can make this easy instant pot chickpea curry following this dump start vegetarian recipe.
easy instant pot chickpea curry dump start recipe below
instant pot chickpea curry vegetarian dump start recipe using canned chickpeas
- 15.5 oz canned chickpeas
- 1 1/4 cup water
- salt as needed
- 2 tablespoons tomato basil sauce use another tomato based sauce or if using concentrated tomato paste, use in very small amounts (about a teaspoon will be enough if using concentrated)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (use coconut milk to make this vegan)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder or curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
for garnishing (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley leaves chopped
- Transfer the washed chickpeas to the inner pot.
- Also add the water, salt, spices and sauce, mix everything well.
- Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position and press manual, cook in high pressure for 7 minutes. The instant pot will take few minutes to come into pressure and once the cooking is finished, it will beep.
- Once the cooking is done and the pot beeps, press the 'keep warm/cancel' button and let the instant pot naturally release the pressure for about 12 minutes.
- If the pressure is all not released in about 12 minutes, you can carefully do a controlled gradual manual pressure release.
- Once the pressure is all released, open the lid very carefully. Stir the contents and press the saute function, simmer in medium for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the gravy is thick enough for your preference.
- Add the heavy cream, stir well and also add the chopped cilantro leaves (if using). The delicious and easy vegetarian chickpea curry is ready and you can press the 'keep warm/cancel' button to stop the cooking and also transfer the inner pot carefully to avoid further cooking. Serve hot with cooked rice, quinoa, indian flatbreads like chpaathi, nan etc or anything as you wish.
Hope you found this post on easy instant pot chickpea recipe using canned chickpeas helpful in making quick, easy, delicious and healthy chickpeas curry using your instant pot!
Last Updated on