Instant pot chickpeas no soak method is so easy and fast you can cook dried chickpeas in your instant pot directly without soaking the chickpeas in advance. This post contains video which will help you to get through the visuals of cooking dried chickpeas directly in the instant pot without soaking in water in advance!
This no soak method is so easy, convenient and pretty fast (compared to other methods) as we can directly cook the dried chickpeas in the instant pot.
You can use a 6 quart duo or lux to make this amount of chickpeas as called in the recipe (which is 2 cups dried chickpeas).
I actually prefer soaking the dried peas and beans before cooking, but sometimes we just forget to do that and without instant pot, there is no way we can cook the dried chickpeas if I hadn’t soaked it in advance.
How To Cook Chickpeas In Instant Pot?
In your instant pot, you can easily cook the soaked dry chickpeas and also you can cook dry chickpeas without soaking it in water in advance!
There are different methods to cook chickpeas in your instant pot, based on whether you have canned chickpeas, or soaked dry chickpeas, or dry chickpeas which are not soaked in advanced.
Canned chickpeas can be easily cooked in the instant pot and you will have very minimal work. To see how to cook canned chickpeas in instant pot, see this chickpea curry recipe using canned chickpeas where I have given the time for cooking the canned chickpeas.
If you have soaked your dry chickpeas in advance (for at least 6 to 8 hours or overnight), the chickpeas cooks much faster than cooking them directly. You can see instant pot soaked chickpea recipe here.
If you didn’t soak the dry chickpeas in advance, follow the instructions in this post to prepare the chickpeas perfectly!
Sometimes it is just so easy and convenient to cook the dried chickpeas directly in the instant pot, without soaking it in advance as it saves a lot of time, and also no need to plan in advance.
So if I forget to soak the chickpeas in advance, usually I cannot cook it the same day.
However, with the instant pot, we can just cook the dried chickpeas right away! Isn’t it so much convenient? For me, it is since I usually use dried chickpeas in meal preparations.
What To Do With The Instant Pot Cooked Chickpeas?
You can drain the liquid and use the cooked chickpeas to use in any recipes as you would like, like chickpea salads, chickpea stir fry etc. If you want to save the leftover liquid, you can save that too which you can use in place of broth for preparing soups, curry etc.
If you wish to prepare hummus, the chickpeas need to be cooked more soft, so I recommend cooking the chickpeas for about 60 minutes instead of 45 minutes as called in this recipe.
I used the cooked chickpeas to prepare an easy chickpea curry in the instant pot itself. You can see the picture below, I will have instructions also in the video on how to make the chickpea curry using the cooked chickpeas and liquid in it.
More instant pot chickpea recipes in this blog:
- how to cook soaked chickpeas in instant pot
- instant pot Indian style chana masala recipe
- easy instant pot chickpea curry using canned chickpeas
So here is how you can cook dried chickpeas in your instant pot right away without soaking them in advance.
Instant Pot Chickpeas No Soak Method Recipe Below
Instant Pot Chickpeas No Soak Recipe
- 2 cups dry chickpeas
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- salt as needed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1 teaspoon onion powder optional
to make chickpea curry from cooked chickpeas (this is optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoons tamarind extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves or cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder may adjust as you like
- Wash the dried chickpeas very well and add the washed chickpeas to the inner pot of the instant pot.
- Add the water and salt, mix well.
- Also add the garlic powder and onion powder if using, mix well.
- Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position, press manual or pressure cook and cook in high pressure for 45 minutes (if you need very soft chickpeas that can be mashed, you may cook for about 60 minutes).
- Naturally release the pressure for about 20 minutes and then if all the pressure is not released by this time, do a careful and gradual manual pressure release.
- To use in recipes like salads or to save for later use, drain the excess water and use the cooked chickpeas as needed. You may also use the excess water for using in other recipes in place of broth. I made an easy chickpea curry using this cooked chickpeas in the instant pot, so I didn't drain the excess water but I used the entire thing to make the chickpea curry for which you can see the instruction below, and also you can watch it in the video.
To make chickpea curry using cooked chickpeas (optional)
- Stir the contents in the instant pot and add the spices and also the tamarind extract, mix everything well.
- Simmer the contents for another couple of minutes or until the gravy is enough and the spices and blended well with the gravy.
- Also add the oil and add black pepper powder, stir in.
- Add coconut milk and cook for one more minute.
- Add the curry leaves (or cilantro leaves), gently mix in and the chickpea curry is ready to be served! Enjoy the curry as a side with cooked rice, quinoa or any flatbread as you like!
Hope you found this post on instant pot chickpeas no soak recipe helpful in making easy and fast chickpeas recipes using dried chickpeas!
Last Updated on