This easy thin crust pizza recipe is super easy and simple to follow and you can make thin, extra thin or ultra thin pizza crusts from scratch using homemade pizza dough so easily at your home.
I made very thin crust pizzas (thin crust cheese pizzas) by making the dough from scratch for thin crusts and they all turned out perfectly delicious!
If you like thick and chewy crust pizzas, see my recipe here for homemade thick and chewy pizza crust from scratch.
As the crust is thin, I recommend adding few simple vegetable toppings in a single layer, if you are making a veggie pizza, as thick crusts are better suited to hold more toppings.
I used simple tomato sauce to spread over the crust, but you can use your favorite pizza sauce as you wish.
I made simple and easy cheese pizzas (two medium sized) using the pizza dough, and I used a mix of mozzarella cheese and some homemade cheese to make the cheese pizza that you see here.
The homemade cheese was delicious and it blended nicely with the other shredded mozzarella cheese.
As I mentioned, the pizza displayed here is the first pizza I made using the dough, where I used a mix of mozzarella and homemade cheese. For the second pizza, I used just the sauce and homemade cheese for topping and that was too delicious!
You can use any of your favorite cheese or just go with the mozzarella cheese as called in the recipe.
The thin crusts made by following this recipe, do not need prebaking of the crust, as they bake just enough along with the topping with the very few minutes in the oven. So with the thin crusts you make here following this recipe, you can easily and quickly make the pizza once the dough is ready.
I adapted this recipe which I slightly modified by adding olive oil to the mix and even though the original recipe is to make a quick pizza which doesn’t need few hours of rising the dough, I did rise the dough for few hours which helped with making the dough so soft and elastic which made it super easy to work with stretching the crust by hand to make it ultra thin.
When the dough is ready, you will see that the dough is sticky, but don’t worry it is so easy and effortless to just sprinkle some cornmeal over a flat surface lined with parchment (I used aluminium foil) and just move around the dough balls over the dusted surface which will make it so easy to handle the balls, you wouldn’t feel the balls were formed from sticky dough at all!
So here is how you can make thin crust cheese pizza following this easy thin crust pizza recipe with instructions to make the dough from scratch and instructions to make the thin crust for the pizza.
Easy Thin Crust Pizza Recipe Below
Easy Thin Crust Pizza Recipe From Scratch
For pizza topping
- 6 tablespoons tomato sauce or more as needed
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded or more as needed
To make the dough
- Mix the yeast with water, add the sugar and keep it closed for about 10 minutes so the yeast will dissolve in the warm water.
- After 10 minutes, the yeast mixture should look frothy and its ready to be used, gently stir the contents before using.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt until the salt is evenly mixed with the flour.
- Add the olive oil and yeast mixture to the flour, mix everything well until well combined.
- Knead the flour with your hands, it will turn out to be sticky than regular dough mixture for pizza, but that's okay we will work on it!
- Once you knead the flour well to form the dough, keep the dough closed for about 2 hours until the dough rises well. If you are in a hurry you may reduce the rising time, but the dough will be better and the crust will be really elastic and stretch if you give this time for the dough to rise.
- After a couple of hours of rising the dough, open the bowl and gently press the dough with your hands and form two balls of dough, as we are making two pizza crusts using this dough.
To make the crust
- Lets work on the first pizza crust now, using the first dough ball. But before starting to work on the first pizza crust, let's preheat the oven. The oven needs to be really hot or the pizza won't be baked perfectly. We want perfectly baked pizzas so just preheat the oven early enough so the oven will be really hot enough for the pizzas to be baked.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degree Fahrenheit. I preheated the oven for at least about 15 minutes in advance.
- Transfer the first dough ball to a flat surface lined with parchment paper (I used aluminium foil) and dusted with little cornmeal.
- Just roll the dough ball in the cornmeal on the surface which will easily get rid of the stickiness of the dough ball.
- Gently press down the dough ball with your hands.
- Now stretch the dough from all sides using your hands, you can make rectangular or round pizza crust just by stretching with your hands. Give breaks of few minutes in between and stretch the dough from all sides until you get the right thickness for your pizza crust. The more you stretch the dough, the more thinner your pizza crust will be. And with this dough, the stretching is so easy to do!
To make the pizza
- Once you have stretched the crust per your liking, transfer the crust to the pizza stone or a large baking sheet greased with olive oil (I lined the baking sheet with foil and then greased it).
- Once the oven is preheated and really hot, lets start adding the toppings to the pizza crust in the pan or pizza stone.
- Gently spread about 3 tablespoons of sauce ( the amount of sauce and cheese given in the ingredients section is for two pizza crusts) on top of the pizza crust, leaving a little space around the edges.
- Add about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (the remaining one cup of cheese is for the second crust) on the crust over the layer of the sauce. Make sure to add the cheese evenly, but you may add a little more in the middle of the pizza if you wish.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven (use the lower rack) for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the crust is lightly golden color.
- Transfer the pizza from the hot oven, as soon as it is baked, as we don't the pizza to be over baked. Give a few minutes and slice the pizza while it is still hot. Enjoy the delicious thin crust cheese pizza for lunch or dinner!
Hope you found this post on easy thin crust pizza recipe helpful in making homemade thin crust pizza for yourself and your family and friends!