This is an easy recipe for homemade cheese without rennet. Following this homemade cheese recipe without rennet, you can easily and quickly make homemade cheese with very simple ingredients.
The texture of this homemade cheese without rennet is quite similar to mozzarella cheese but I can’t claim it to be exactly as mozzarella cheese.
This homemade cheese without rennet is delicious but I couldn’t stretch it like regular mozzarella cheese. If I can modify the recipe to make it stretchable I will update the post accordingly.
However, if you are looking for a simple and easy homemade cheese which is delicious, follow the directions here to make your own simple and easy delicious homemade cheese.
You can make some slight modifications to the cheese you make, which I will explain here, to make it more creamy and melting, so you can even use this as a delicious creamy cheese topping for pizzas.
I actually made this homemade cheese without rennet to use as a topping for the homemade pizza, as I was out of stock for store bought mozzarella cheese.
It worked very well over the pizza as the pizza with this cheese turned out to be very delicious and my kids loved it!
The below image shows fresh homemade cheese after the filtering process.
You can easily crumble the above shown fresh cheese and sprinkle it over salads or any dish as you wish.
If you want a more stable and firm texture or if you want to add this to pizza topping, I recommend processing this in a food processor along with some melted butter and freezing or refrigerating, which can be used later, as shown in pictures below.
The first picture shows the fresh cheese mixed with melted butter and getting processed in a food processor.
But this is not necessary. You can just use the homemade fresh cheese as it is or you can store in refrigerator for later use.
The processed cheese is then transferred to a freezer safe box and kept in freezer for a couple of hours which will make it more stable and firm in texture (or you can just refrigerate for few more ours).
As I mentioned, this step is not really necessary especially if you are just looking to make fresh cheese to be used in salads or any dish that just needs homemade fresh cheese.
The cheese can be crumbled or grated and used in recipes like homemade pizza.
The ingredients and process is very similar to the making of homemade paneer (traditional Indian style cheese) although the process is not exactly the same and the results are quite different.
So here is how you can make this easy and simple homemade cheese without rennet following this recipe for homemade cheese without rennet.
After the recipe for the cheese is done, I will also explain how to modify it so as to use it as pizza topping.
Homemade thin crust pizza(recipe here) topped with this homemade cheese turned out delicious.
The cheese has melted and the top is slightly browned and it was delicious. The cheese topping may not look exactly like the store bought variety, but this is homemade cheese without rennet and it is easy to make and delicious too, even the kids loved it!
If you have any more tips or suggestions on making homemade cheese without rennet, please feel free to share your suggestions in the comment section.
Recipe For Homemade Cheese Without Rennet
- 6 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice filtered
- salt as needed
- Heat the milk in a saucepan and stirring continuously, keeping in medium to high heat.
- As the milk becomes hot and frothy (before it boils), add the filtered lemon juice, stir the contents and reduce the heat slightly.
- Keep stirring and cook the contents, as the milk curdles because of the addition of lemon juice which is citric in nature. If the milk is not curdling, you may add a little more lemon juice as needed.
- As the milk curdles very well, remove the curdled milk from the hot stove and keep it for cooling down a bit.
- As the milk cools down a little, the curdling will be almost done, and you can filter out the remaining water (which is the whey) which can be discarded or you can use it as a broth or any recipes where it works. We only need the curdled solid parts to make the cheese.
- Now filter the curdled milk through a good strainer. As I mentioned earlier in the post, you may also use a strainer lined with cheese cloth, if you have a cheese cloth at home. If not you may just use a fine mesh strainer.
- The curdled milk that is retained in the strainer is what we need to make the homemade cheese.
- Keep the contents in the strainer for few minutes until it cools down and almost all water is filtered out.
- Gently press the curdled contents in the strainer (once it is cool enough) so that any remaining water content will get filtered out.
- Now you have got the homemade cheese inside the strainer, gently transfer it to a microwave safe bowl. I do not recommend using a plastic bowl for microwaving as some plastics may have a tendency to melt.
- Add in the salt and you can mix with a spoon to blend in the salt evenly. The cheese will be crumbly in texture but that's delicious.
- Microwave in high for about 1 minute or another 1 more minute, as it will help improve the texture of the cheese. If you think the cheese looks fine without microwaving, you may skip this step to microwave the cheese.
- Now if you are looking to make cheese to add to salads, you can simply add this delicious cheese just by crumbling it and sprinkling on salads which will be a delicious addition to your salads.
Last Updated on