Homemade Cheese Without Rennet – Easy Recipe For Homemade Cheese Without Rennet – Vegetarian cheese recipe animal rennet free
This is an easy recipe for homemade cheese without rennet. Following this homemade cheese recipe without rennet, you can easily and quickly make homemade cheese with very simple ingredients.
The texture of this homemade cheese without rennet is quite similar to mozzarella cheese but I can’t claim it to be exactly as mozzarella cheese.
This homemade cheese without rennet is delicious but I couldn’t stretch it like regular mozzarella cheese. If I can modify the recipe to make it stretchable I will update the post accordingly. However, if you are looking for a simple and easy homemade cheese which is delicious, follow the directions here to make your own simple and easy delicious homemade cheese.
You can make some slight modifications to the cheese you make, which I will explain here, to make it more creamy and melting, so you can even use this as a delicious creamy cheese topping for pizzas. I actually made this homemade cheese without rennet to use as a topping for the homemade pizza, as I was out of stock for store bought mozzarella cheese. It worked very well over the pizza as the pizza with this cheese turned out to be very delicious and my kids loved it!
So here is how you can make this easy and simple homemade cheese without rennet following this recipe for homemade cheese without rennet. After the recipe for the cheese is done, I will also explain how to modify it so as to use it as pizza topping.
The ingredients and process is very similar to the making of homemade paneer (traditional Indian style cheese) although the process is not exactly the same and the results are quite different. If you like paneer or wish to see paneer recipes, see here my posts on how to roast paneer in the oven or this easy quick paneer curry recipe.
Recipe For Homemade Cheese Without Rennet
Makes about 1 cup homemade cheese
Ingredients to make homemade cheese without rennet
- Whole milk 6 cups
- lemon juice filtered 3 to 4 tablespoons
- salt as needed
Instructions to make homemade cheese without rennet
- Heat the milk in a saucepan and stirring continuously, keeping in medium to high heat.
- As the milk becomes hot and frothy (before it boils), add the filtered lemon juice, stir the contents and reduce the heat slightly.
- Keep stirring and cook the contents, as the milk curdles because of the addition of lemon juice which is citric in nature. If the milk is not curdling, you may add a little more lemon juice as needed.
- As the milk curdles very well, remove the curdled milk from the hot stove and keep it for cooling down a bit.
- As the milk cools down a little, the curdling will be almost done, and you can filter out the remaining water (which is the whey) which can be discarded or you can use it as a broth or any recipes where it works. We only need the curdled solid parts to make the cheese.
- Now filter the curdled milk through a good strainer, you may also use a strainer lined with cheese cloth, if you have a cheese cloth at home. If not you may just use a fine mesh strainer.
- The curdled milk that is retained in the strainer is what we need to make the homemade cheese.
- Keep the contents in the strainer for few minutes until it cools down and almost all water is filtered out.
- Gently press the curdled contents in the strainer (once it is cool enough) so that any remaining water content will get filtered out.
- Now you have got the homemade cheese inside the strainer, gently transfer it to a microwave safe bowl. I do not recommend using a plastic bowl for microwaving as some plastics may have a tendency to melt.
- Add in the salt and you can mix with a spoon to blend in the salt evenly. The cheese will be crumbly in texture but that’s delicious.
- Microwave in high for about 1 minute or another 1 more minute, as it will help improve the texture of the cheese. If you think the cheese looks fine without microwaving, you may skip this step to microwave the cheese.
- Now if you are looking to make cheese to add to salads, you can simply add this delicious cheese just by crumbling it and sprinkling on salads which will be a delicious addition to your salads.
- If you want to add this cheese to add as a topping for your pizza, which will melt and blend with the pizza, you can follow the below instructions.
- Just add a couple of tablespoons of melted butter to the homemade cheese and blend in in the food processor until you get a smooth silky texture for the cheese. Now transfer the mixture to a food container and keep it refrigerated which will help with firming the texture of the cheese. You may also transfer this mixture to a freezer safe container and keep in the freezer for a couple of hours if you wish to slice the cheese.
- Once the cheese mixture is refrigerated for few hours in the fridge, the cheese would have set and will have a nice lightly firm texture, you can either slice or crumble the mixture to add into your foods, after removing from the food container.
- To add this to a pizza topping, gently crumble it using your hands into small pieces, and sprinkle it over the pizza. I baked a thin crust homemade pizza with this homemade cheese topping in a preheated oven at 500 degree Fahrenheit for about 10 to 12 minutes and the pizza sprinkled with this homemade cheese turned out delicious. The cheese has melted and the top is slightly browned and it was delicious. The cheese topping may not look exactly like the store bought variety, but this is homemade cheese without rennet and it is easy to make and delicious too, even the kids loved it!
Hope you found this post on homemade cheese without rennet helpful in making easy and delicious homemade cheese without rennet. If you have any more tips or suggestions on making homemade cheese without rennet, please feel free to share your suggestions in the comment section.