Chocolate crinkle cookies are perfect for Christmas or holidays which you can make quickly and easily from scratch. A kid friendly, festive looking chocolate cookies which you can prepare so easily without going through the work or mess of making any extra frosting.
How To Make Chocolate Crinkle Cookies From Scratch
They also make great gifts for chocolate lovers so bake these chocolate crinkle cookies for Christmas or Easter for the chocolate lovers in your life.
This is also one of the most easy cookies which even beginners can make, as it is very easy to make even without any need to prepare an icing.
If you love chocolate and cookies, this is for you! And surprisingly, this is so easy to make!
We make the cookie dough, chill it, make balls out of it, roll it in powdered sugar, bake it and cool down completely, they are ready to be enjoyed!
No need of any extra icing or frosting for these cookies, as they already are rolled in powdered sugar which forms the icing over the cookies as they are baked.
I initially had my doubts on how the powdered sugar is staying on top of the cookies, while they are getting baked.
So they do get change, but only change a little in form, they don’t retain their powdered form once they are baked but they are more like an icing over the baked cookies, which is perfect!
I had earlier posted an easy chocolate cookies recipe with chocolate chips which have the texture of crinkle cookies.
This chocolate crinkle cookies recipe is much similar to the chocolate cookie with chips, but its not the same as you can see from the recipe and photos.
This is a classic chocolate crinkle cookie recipe with powdered sugar so there is some difference in ingredients and steps, and also these chocolate crinkle cookies do not have chocolate chips (though you may add if you wish to, just use the chocolate cookie recipe with chocolate chips to make the cookie dough and follow the instructions here to add the powdered sugar).
So here is how you can bake these delicious chocolate crinkle cookies following this easy chocolate crinkle cookies recipe from scratch.
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup sugar
- vanilla extract few drops
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar use as needed to roll the cookie dough
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, beat well the butter and sugar.
- Beat the egg very well in a different bowl and add the beaten egg to the butter sugar mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence, mix well.
- Add the butter sugar egg mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix well until all ingredients are mixed well, you may use your hands to mix the cookie dough if you can't do with a spoon.
- Add the oil also and mix very well to form the cookie dough, mix again to make the perfect cookie dough.
- Cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Now the chilled cookie dough is ready to be used.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Keep the powdered sugar in a small bowl aside.
- Make small balls (about 1 inch) out of the cookie dough and place them in the cookie sheet. The cookies will spread as they get baked so you need to leave some space in between the balls. You do not need to bake the entire cookies at the same time, as mostly they won't fit in a single cookie sheet. You can just use about half of the cookie dough to make about 12 cookies and do the remaining in the next batch (remember to chill the remaining dough until ready to use).
- Once you have placed the cookies in the cookie sheet, take each of the balls, one at a time, and roll them in the bowl of powdered sugar so the ball is all covered in sugar, and place the rolled ball with sugar back in its place in the cookie sheet. Do the same for all the dough balls.
- Bake for about 12 to 14 minutes and transfer the cookie sheet immediately from the hot oven in order to prevent the cookies from getting baked further.
- Allow the cookies to cool down completely, once cooled, enjoy the delicious cookies with a cup of milk, tea or coffee! Similarly bake the remaining cookies (from the remaining dough) as well.
Hope you found this recipe for chocolate crinkle cookies for Christmas helpful in making easy and delicious kid friendly cookies for Christmas or any time as you wish.