This one pot mac and cheese recipe is easy to follow and you can make delicious, kid friendly one pot mac and cheese with minimal efforts.
This is a simple and easy macaroni and cheese recipe without baking, as we make this easy one pot mac and cheese over the stove top.
This is also a very simple macaroni and cheese recipe without eggs, evaporated or sour cream, but its very delicious and easy to prepare too with simple ingredients. You may add more cheese to your liking if needed.
Mac and cheese do have a tendency to thicken if you keep it for a long time, but you can always add a little milk or cream to slightly thin it down (and microwave for few seconds) as needed for later uses.
Homemade food is always the best but if you wish you can buy mac and cheese online too.
You can also see my review for Amy’s mac and cheese here.
The basic ingredients you need to make mac and cheese are the pasta, butter, flour, milk and cheese along with few seasonings of your liking, and of course a little salt and little water needed to cook the pasta.
Some mac and cheese recipes call for ingredients like eggs, which is good to add, however, this is a very simple and easy stove top mac and cheese recipe without eggs and without evaporated milk.
We use whole milk and a little heavy cream to make this mac and cheese more rich and creamy, but you may skip the heavy cream if you do not have it.
I used shredded cheddar cheese in this easy one pot mac and cheese recipe, you can also use a combination of cheddar and Colby jack cheese if you wish, to add even more flavor.
If you do not have Colby jack cheese, you may also add few slices (about 2 to 3) of Kraft American singles which will add more flavor and the light yellow color to the mac and cheese if you wish to add more flavor and color.
Usually a roux is made with flour and melted butter in the beginning of making the sauce for mac and cheese.
However I made this one pot mac and cheese in a different way (I tried making the roux in the beginning but this method gave me more creamier and delicious mac and cheese) by stirring in the flour milk mixture later and I liked the results better for this one pot mac and cheese.
When I added the flour in the beginning to make one pot mac and cheese, I have noticed that the pasta took more time to cook and also it made everything more thicker, but this time when I added the flour milk mixture later (after the pasta is cooked) it helped reduce the cooking time and also it didn’t make the sauce too thick but just enough thick and creamy to make the mac and cheese delicious.
So here is how you can make this easy one pot mac and cheese without eggs or evaporated milk, following this easy mac and cheese recipe on stove top.
Easy One Pot Mac And Cheese Recipe Below
Easy One Pot Mac And Cheese Recipe, Mac And Cheese No Egg Recipe
- 2 cups elbow shaped pasta
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 American cheese slices I recommend Kraft American singles (optional)
- 2 cups chilled milk (may need more)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
To make the flour mixture
- 1 teaspoon all purpose flour or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup milk needed to make flour mixture
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Mix 1/4 cup of milk and cornstarch (or all purpose flour) without any lumps, keep this flour milk mixture aside.
- Add the pasta, water, one cup of whole milk and butter to a saucepan, stir well and bring the mixture to a boil (stir often).
- As the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium, and add the spice powders - garlic powder, onion powder and mustard powder and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Keep stirring continuously to avoid the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the flour milk mixture also to the pan and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Switch off the stove and keep the pan away from heat. Stir in the heavy cream and cheese (shredded cheddar or Colby if you are using and also the American cheese if using) and stir well everything so the cream and cheese will blend nicely with the hot pasta in sauce.
- The mac and cheese will have a tendency to thicken quickly, so add the chilled milk, one cup at a time, and stir well so as to maintain the right consistency. If the pasta thickens again in few minutes (which is normal), add more chilled milk, little by little as needed, and stir well. In case you need to save the pasta for later use, you may add a little more warm milk (if the pasta is already at room temperature or cold)and stir well to reduce the thickness of the dish, if needed.
Hope you found this post on easy one pot mac and cheese recipe helpful in making easy, simple and delicious homemade macaroni and cheese.
Last Updated on