This tofu stir fry recipe with spices using extra firm tofu is so easy to prepare, its simple and delicious too.
To make the tofu stir fry without the tofu crumbling too much, its important that you drain the extra water content (moisture content) from the block of tofu before you start slicing or cooking them and also handle the slices gently and do not try to flip them in the pan before one side is fried enough.
I didn’t use soy sauce or any other sauce in this tofu stir fry with spices, but its made delicious with the addition of spices and especially curry leaves.
The use of curry leaves makes this tofu stir fry so aromatic and flavorful and I highly recommend adding fresh curry leaves for the best results. However if you do not have fresh curry leaves, you may also try using dried curry leaves or you may try other spices like oregano or parsley for flavor if you like.
The tofu stir fry recipe is flexible and you may adjust the spices and add new spices if you like so you can experiment with the flavors.
So here is how you can make tofu stir fry recipe with spices following this easy Indian style recipe, which you can modify based on your preferences. The tofu I used is extra firm tofu which holds up well in stir fry, with minimal efforts. If you do not have extra firm tofu also, follow the instructions in the recipe card and make sure to drain the excess moisture from the tofu before using in the recipe.
If you love tofu, also try this crispy baked and pan fried tofu recipe, which gives you the best crispy tofu which is also very delicious!
Easy Tofu Stir Fry With Spices Recipe Below
Tofu Stir Fry Recipe, How To Make Tofu Stir Fry With Spices
- Drain and discard any water residue from the packaged tofu.
- Use a paper towel to remove any extra moisture. If you are not in a hurry, place the tofu wrapped in paper towels under weight (I use an iron skillet) for some time which will help with the removal of the extra moisture.
- Once most of the moisture is removed, cut the tofu block into even sized cubes, cut gently so as to avoid the tofu from crumbling or falling apart.
- Transfer the sliced tofu cubes to a large bowl and add the following - salt, garlic powder, onion powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice and one tablespoon of oil.
- Gently mix the seasoning with the tofu and let this sit for a while (about 15 to 30 minutes) so the tofu will marinate and absorb the added seasoning.
- Heat the remaining one tablespoon of oil in an iron skillet or good quality frying pan and add the ginger, stir fry for a minute.
- Gently transfer the tofu to the pan. If possible, place the tofu in a single layer.
- Let it fry in low heat for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the bottom side of the tofu cubes is lightly fried. At this point, avoid stirring the tofu, to avoid the tofu falling apart, so you need to wait until the bottom side is fried enough.
- Once one side of the tofu is lightly fried, use a good quality spatula to flip the tofu and cook the other side too. In another 4 to 5 minutes, the other side will also be almost cooked.
- Add the pepper and stir the contents gently. You shouldn't stir much, as the tofu will have a tendency to crumble until its cooked or fried completely. However, since we are making a stir fry, even if some of the tofu pieces crumble slightly, its fine since it all taste good at the end.
- Continue cooking the tofu by lightly frying it in the pan until its lightly browned and cooked enough to your liking, for me it took an addition 4 to 5 minutes to finish off the cooking.
- Finally, add the curry leaves, gently stir (adding curry leaves will add a wonderful aroma and flavor), serve hot!
Hope you found this post on tofu stir fry with spices helpful in making easy and yummy Indian style stir fried tofu with spices.