Instant Pot Black Beans, How To Cook Soaked Black Beans Using Instant Pot With Water To Beans Ratio Explained
Instant pot black beans (black beans cooked in instant pot) can be used for tacos, burritos or any recipe that calls for cooked black beans. Black beans is available as canned black beans and dry black beans(good price value), both are easily available online.
You can easily cook black beans using an instant pot using dry black beans or canned black beans. If you are using canned black beans, you can skip the soaking part.
If you are using dry black beans, we use the soaking method first to soak the dry beans and then easily cook the soaked beans using the instant pot. You can actually cook dry beans in instant pot even without prior soaking, but I always recommend soaking the dried beans before cooking, for best results and for better absorption of nutrients, so here we follow the soaking and cooking method.
The instant pot black beans is great for using in salads, soups, curry etc. I prepared this quinoa black bean salad and also this mustard greens curry with black beans using black beans cooked in instant pot. You can use instant pot to cook the black beans in different textures (firm holding the shape, soft, very soft etc) for use in different recipes, and I have directions for those in the recipe card.
The dry black beans is washed and soaked for about 6 hours (or overnight for best results) and then we discard the water used for soaking and rinse the beans again using fresh water. The washed beans is then transferred to the instant pot for cooking.
If you directly cook the dried beans in the instant pot (it is possible!) it would take longer time and if you use canned beans it would probably take lesser time and wouldn’t need soaking. But this instant pot recipe is for dried beans which is soaked in water for about 6 hours at least, which cooks faster than the dried beans which is not soaked in advance.
So here is how you can cook soaked dried black beans in instant pot following this easy recipe where I also explain the water to beans ratio and explain different cooking times for different textures for the cooked beans (as needed for different recipes) since we need much softer black beans for burgers while the beans shouldn’t be too soft for salads.
Related blog post:
Instant Pot Black Beans Recipe Below
Instant Pot Black Beans, How To Cook Soaked Black Beans In Instant Pot
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 4 cups water
- salt as needed
- extra water as needed for soaking the beans
- Wash the black beans and soak in enough water for about 5 to 6 hours. (If you are not cooking immediately, drain the water and save it in refrigerator for later use).
- After soaking, drain the excess water and rinse the beans in fresh water again for 2 to 3 times.
- Transfer the black beans to the inner pot of instant pot.
- Add 4 cups of water and close the instant pot with lid in sealing position.
- Press the manual button and cook for 7 minutes in high pressure. If you want to cook the beans very soft so you can mash them with a spoon you will need to cook for a couple of minutes more, so I recommend cooking for about 10 minutes, however to be used in tacos, burritos or curry, you do not need extra soft beans so you can cook them for just 7 minutes).
- Once the cooking is done, the instant pot will beep so you will have to wait until then. Once the instant pot beeps, press the 'keep warm/cancel' button and wait for the instant pot to naturally release the pressure or you may do a careful manual pressure release after about 15 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Once the pressure is all, carefully open the lid by turning it to the venting position.
- Drain the extra water from the cooked black beans, you can either discard the water and you can use it as a healthy vegetarian/vegan bean broth which can be used in soup recipes, curry recipes etc.
- Once the water is all drained, add enough salt and mix well, now the black beans is ready to be used in any recipes that call for cooked black beans!
Hope you found this post on instant pot method for black beans helpful in cooking dried and soaked black beans using instant pot.