Mung bean soup instant pot recipe using whole green mung beans (green moong dal), onions and spices is delicious, nutritious and also very simple and easy to make in the instant pot. This is a very simple vegetarian mung bean soup recipe (whole green moong dal soup) without using tomatoes and even beginners can try in the instant pot. Mung bean soup is also known as monggo bean soup as mongoo beans is another popular name for mung beans.
The best part is that you can easily adjust the recipe to add more flavors and spices to suit your liking.
Since its made of mung beans and mild spices, you may also enjoy this as a stew or serve this over cooked white rice or brown rice for a nutritious, delicious vegetarian meal.
To make this easy mung bean soup in instant pot, you do not need to soak the mung beans in water in advance.
It is a very easy to work with dal, which you can easily cook in instant pot or any pressure cooker or even using a pan on stove top without even soaking in water in advance.
You can learn here how to cook mung beans without soaking using different methods easily.
I also have this detailed instant pot mung bean curry recipe here which explains how you can easily make simple and delicious mung bean curry using instant pot.
This mung bean soup (whole green moong dal soup) is also a very simple and easy recipe, but its very delicious as well.
I have used very few spices to flavor the soup in this recipe, but you may use more spices or flavors to your preference.
To make the soup more yummy, you can use a broth like vegetable broth instead of plain water. Also you can add more spices or flavors of your choice.
Can You Add Tomatoes To This Mung Bean Soup Recipe?
I made this green mung bean soup without tomatoes but you may use tomatoes if you like.
If you are using tomatoes, you can use 1 to 2 medium sized tomatoes (chopped finely) and add them along with the onions and mung beans.
If using tomatoes, you may need to skip the lemon juice since the tomatoes will add the needed sourness.
Spices Used In This Mung Bean Soup
I used a little turmeric powder, red chili powder, black pepper powder, garlic powder and cumin seeds powder to flavor the soup.
I didn’t use too much spices in this soup, since I wanted to keep this not spicy but just enough to flavor the soup.
It is so easy to adjust the flavors and spices based on your preference and feel free to adjust the flavors if you wish.
You may slightly adjust the amount of spices used, according to your preferences too.
In this recipe, I used garlic powder but you may use freshly crushed garlic instead. Also, I used ginger juice but you can use freshly crushed ginger or even ginger powder based on what you have at home.
So here you can see how I made this easy, healthy and delicious instant pot mung bean soup.
As I already mentioned, you may adjust the spices and flavors to your preference if you wish.
How To Make Mung Bean Soup In Instant Pot
To make this delicious, easy and nutritious mung bean soup in the instant pot, we need the following ingredients.
ingredients for mung bean soup
green mung beans 1 cup
onion 1 medium sized
water 3 cups (or vegetable broth, may need a little more)
salt as needed
lemon juice 2 teaspoons
ginger juice 2 tablespoons (may use freshly crushed ginger too)
oil 1 tablespoon
butter 1 to 2 tablespoons
garlic powder 1 teaspoon (use 1 to 2 cloves fresh garlic crushed instead)
turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
cumin seeds powder 1/2 teaspoon
ground black pepper powder 1 teaspoon
Steps To Follow (The Process)
Chop the onion (finely or thinly sliced) and add this to the instant pot.
Wash the mung beans very well and add it also to the instant pot.
Add the 3 cups of water, enough salt, lemon and ginger also and then add all the spice powder other than black pepper powder, mix everything well.
Add the oil and butter also to the pot.
Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position and cook in high pressure for 7 minutes.
Once cooked, the pot will beep and you can press the ‘keep warm/cancel’ button.
Wait for a natural pressure release or if you are in a hurry, you may do a controlled gradual manual pressure release after 12 to 14 minutes of natural pressure release.
Open the lid very carefully (the contents will be very hot) and stir and gently mash the contents a little using a spoon or ladle.
Add little more water for the right consistency as you prefer (I added one more cup of water), and also add the black pepper powder, stir and simmer for about a minute. Serve the soup hot or you may save it for later use.
You can also serve it over cooked white rice since the mung bean soup has a thicker consistency like a stew which goes great with rice.
If saving for later use, you may need to refrigerate the contents once its cooled enough. Just remember to warm the soup before serving!
Also, keep in mind that the soup thickens as it cools down, so you may need to add a little water and stir in with the soup to adjust the consistency of the soup, as needed.
Also you may adjust the flavors and spices of the soup according to your preference. If you want it more buttery, feel free to add little more butter to the soup.
More Green Mung Bean Recipes:
I also have this instant pot moong dal fry here which is made using yellow moong dal or yellow split mung beans.
Below you can get the recipe for instant pot mung bean soup in detail.
Mung Bean Soup In Instant Pot (Video) – Monggo Bean Soup
- instant pot 6 quart duo or lux
- 1 cup green mung beans
- 1 medium sized onion
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth (may need a little more)
- salt as needed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ginger juice may use freshly crushed ginger too
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (may use 2 tablespoons butter)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder use 1 to 2 cloves fresh garlic crushed instead
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper powder
- Chop the onion (finely or thinly sliced) and add this to the instant pot.Wash the mung beans very well and add it also to the instant pot.
- Add the 3 cups of water, enough salt, lemon and ginger also and then add all the spice powder other than black pepper powder, mix everything well.
- Add the oil and butter also to the pot.
- Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position and cook in high pressure for 7 minutes.Once cooked, the pot will beep and you can press the 'keep warm/cancel' button.Wait for a natural pressure release or if you are in a hurry, you may do a controlled gradual manual pressure release after 12 to 14 minutes of natural pressure release.Open the lid very carefully (the contents will be very hot) and stir and gently mash the contents a little using a spoon or ladle.
- Add little more water for the right consistency as you prefer (I added one more cup of water), and also add the black pepper powder, stir and simmer for about a minute. Serve the soup hot or you may save it for later use.