This cornbread recipe without eggs is easy to follow, delicious and very simple to make at home from scratch if you have yellow cornmeal and very few other ingredients that you need for baking. This is also a moist Southern cornbread without buttermilk, but we use milk in the ingredients. I do not always have buttermilk at home (though I almost always have yogurt) so this cornbread recipe without buttermilk is my go to recipe for making cornbread at home.
This cornbread was made for thanksgiving dinner and my kids loved it, which they enjoyed along with homemade cranberry sauce which was delicious.
If you are out of eggs and if you want to make an easy and simple cornbread for snack or as a side for dinner or a delicious breakfast, you can easily try this super easy cornbread recipe without eggs to bake delicious and moist cornbread quickly.
If you love eggless recipes, I have this easy recipe for pancakes without eggs made using flaxseeds for egg substitute, which is fluffy, delicious & perfect for breakfast
If you love egg free baked goods, see my post on egg free fluffy vanilla cake recipe which is so easy to make and super delicious too!
I also have this easy, vegan and simple chocolate mug cake recipe without eggs, which is prepared in microwave oven quickly and makes a very yummy one person dessert.
How To Make Cornbread Without Eggs?
It is easy to make cornbread without eggs or buttermilk. We use applesauce as an egg substitute to make this delicious cornbread.
Following are the ingredients needed to make this easy eggless cornbread.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1.5 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar add little more if you want more sweetness
1/2 cup butter melted
6 tablespoons applesauce (or yogurt)
1 cup whole milk at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Steps To Follow (The Process)
To make the eggless cornbread batter, in a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients – cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
In a separate bowl, add melted butter and add applesauce, milk and vanilla essence and mix everything together until well combined.
Add the wet ingredients mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix the contents to make the batter. If the batter is too thick, you may add a little more milk (just add one tablespoon at a time).
To bake the cornbread, preheat the oven in 350 degree Fahrenheit.
Prepare a baking pan by greasing with little oil or butter and transfer the cornbread batter to the pan.
Bake the cornbread for about 25 to 30 minutes until the top is lightly browned and the inside is cooked.
You can check if its completely cooked by inserting a toothpick at the center of the cake, which should come out clean. In case its not done, you can cover the top of the pan with aluminium foil and bake for few more minutes.
Once done, allow the cornbread to cool in the rack and then you can slice it up and serve!
If you are making this cornbread for breakfast, you can use it with honey or any of your favorite jam or sauce like strawberry jam, cranberry jam or sauce etc or you can use salted spreadable butter or whatever you like with it.
As this is kind of quick bread (made using baking powder) this is not very sweet, we use only minimal sugar in the recipe.
You may add more sugar if you want it to taste like a dessert cake, although this is mildly sweet and I love to enjoy it as a light dessert as well.
Can You Substitute Applesauce In Eggless Cornbread Recipe?
Yes, you can use yogurt in place of applesauce as a substitute to eggs to make delicious eggless cornbread.
I have tried this same recipe with yogurt in place of applesauce and it turned out great as well.
So if you do not have applesauce or eggs at home, you can still make cornbread using yogurt in place of applesauce.
So here is how you can make this simple and easy cornbread without eggs following this super easy cornbread recipe without eggs.
I adapted the delicious cornbread recipe from here which I modified based on my preferences.
You can buy yellow cornmeal here which can be used for this recipe.
Tips To Make Moist Cornbread
Sometimes cornbread ends up dry and crumbly and this can be due to many reasons. Especially when you are making eggless cornbread, which is a variation from the standard recipe, it is easy to make mistakes if you do not follow the directions in the recipe.
The texture of the cornbread is slightly crumbly since cornbread is made using cornmeal. To make the cornbread moist, we use applesauce or yogurt in the recipe, which helps to keep the texture of the cornbread moist.
However if you overbake the cornbread, the texture can become dry. So its important to make sure not to overbake the cornbread.
Once the top of the cornbread looks baked and if the inside is still not cooked completely (you can know this by inserting a toothpick), make sure to cover the baking pan with a foil and then bake until the cornbread is cooked completely. This will help retain the moisture inside the cornbread while its baking, and also prevents the top of the cornbread from drying out.
Also, if not serving while the cornbread is still warm, I like to keep it covered with a foil or lid to retain the moisture.
Below you can read the cornbread recipe without eggs in detail
Cornbread Recipe Without Eggs Simple & Easy
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients - cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- In another bowl, add the melted butter and add applesauce (or yogurt), milk and vanilla extract and mix everything together until well combined.
- Now add the butter mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix the contents together without forming any lumps. In case the batter is too thick (as it may depend on the cornmeal and flour you use), you may add a little more milk and mix again( just add one tablespoon of extra milk at a time and then mix and see if you need more). You can use a balloon whisk to mix the ingredients to blend in perfectly.
- Preheat the oven in 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Grease oil or melted butter in a square pan and pour the cornbread batter into it.
- Bake the cornbread for about 25 to 30 minutes until the top is lightly browned and the inside is cooked. You can check this by inserting a toothpick at the center of the cornbread, which should come out clean. If the inside is not cooked enough, cover the pan with a foil and cook for few more minutes until the cornbread is cooked completely. Covering with the foil helps to prevent the cornbread from drying out.
- Allow the bread to cool down, then cut and serve the warm cornbread with tea, coffee or milk along with honey or butter or jam or any syrup as you wish.