If you wonder how to make white rice without rice cooker, read on!
If you have a good quality rice cooker or if you have a programmable instant pot, cooking rice is so easy (if its instant pot you can quickly cook most of your favorite dishes too) sometimes its just a pan or pot is all we need to cook white rice so perfectly.
In this blog post, you can read in detail how to make white rice without rice cooker, including many tips that will help you to make the perfectly cooked white rice.
There are many kinds of white rice available in the market and there may be differences in the cooking time as well, so here we are going to use white basmati rice, which is very delicious and fluffy when cooked and makes great rice for one pot rice recipes or rice bowls.
You can enjoy this rice for lunch or dinner along with any delicious vegetarian/vegan curry or any vegetable side dishes or paneer curry.
Basmati rice is a popular long grain rice traditionally from India which is perfect for many rice recipes. See my collection of rice recipes in this blog here.
So this blog post is specifically for how to cook white basmati rice without a rice cooker, though you can try with other brands of white rice as well following the directions in the package, as cooking times may vary for other brands.
If you have a pretty large pot or pan, you can easily cook white basmati rice or any other quick cooking white rice in it. Having a rice cooker is good, but you don’t have to worry if you don’t have a cooker.
Just make to use a pan or pot which can hold the rice once its cooked. The white rice cooked in pots and pans are tasty, fluffy and you can really make them non sticky with little effort.
As I already mentioned above, I used white basmati rice, but other brands of rice should also work fine with slight differences in cooking time, you can try and see yourself if you wish!
So here is the simplest method, instructions and tips on how to cook white rice without rice cooker using a regular pot or pan.
- Pot or pan with lid which can hold the cooked rice
- good quality steel spatula
How To Make White Rice Without Rice Cooker, Perfect White Basmati Rice In A Pot Or Pan
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- Wash the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat the water in pot/pan and bring it to a boil.
- When the water starts boiling gently add the rice to the boiling water. (if you don't want to do that or if you are in a hurry, you can also add the rice and water together to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. I do this all the times and it works fine, but if you add rice later to the water it will reduce the tendency of rice to be sticky while cooking).
- Close the pan with lid and cook for 10 minutes (cooking time may vary slightly if it is not basmati rice)
- Open the pan and see if the rice is cooked completely, if not, you may close the pan and cook for another couple of minutes (some times it may take around 12 minutes of cooking as the cooking times can slightly vary based on the stove used).
- Once the rice is cooked completely, gently fluff or you can gently stir using a steel spatula or fluff the rice using a fork.
- If there is any little water remaining in the pan after the rice is cooked, you can keep the pan open and heat in medium heat for another 1 to 2 minutes so the water will get evaporated.
- If not using right away, you should gently stir the rice again twice with an interval of 15 minutes in between, so that the rice won't stick together as it cools down.
- You can also add salt and butter to the pot or pan while cooking the rice, so that the cooked rice will have a nice flavor.
Hope you found this post on how to make white rice without rice cooker helpful in making the perfect cooked white rice using a pot or pan.
Last Updated on