Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe With Cocoa Powder For Cupcakes, Cakes, Brownies, Muffins – Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting Recipe/Icing Recipe
Chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe with cocoa powder is perfect for frosting and decorating cakes, cupcakes, chocolate brownies or muffins.
Chocolate cream cheese frosting is easy to make at home, delicious and is the perfect frosting for desserts if you love chocolate and chocolate flavored frosting.
We also use butter in this chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe which makes it even more delicious and creamy. So if you love chocolate flavor and also the rich flavor and creaminess of butter and cream cheese, this chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting is perfect for you!
Recipe adapted from here: Original recipe called for adding a little salt, which I didn’t use and it turned out delicious.
The first time I made this chocolate cream frosting, I didn’t mean it for decorating cupcakes, as I was making it for spreading in a chocolate cake, so I wanted more of a spreadable consistency and so I added 2 tablespoons of whole milk, which made it even more spreadable.
As you can see below, I easily decorated a chocolate cake with this delicious chocolate cream cheese frosting and some M&M’s.
While making this chocolate cream cheese frosting for cupcakes, brownies or cakes, you can skip this extra milk and just follow the recipe as usual.
Also, if you are looking to make a stiff cream cheese frosting to pipe on to make more intricate designs on cupcakes or cakes, make sure to not use the extra milk, as we need a stiff consistency to make the designs and you can even add a little more powdered sugar if you want even more stiff consistency or if you want more sweetness for the frosting.
In brief, you can adjust the recipe by adding the milk or avoiding it and adjusting the amount of powdered sugar used, based on whether you want a more spreadable consistency for frosting on cakes or you need a more stiff consistency for piping on cupcakes or cakes.
I also added 2 tablespoons of extra butter to make this cream cheese frosting as I wanted a more cream cheese buttercream flavored frosting, and it turned out very delicious.
So here is how you can make this delicious chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting following this easy homemade chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe from scratch.
More Easy Frosting Recipes:
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Below
Chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting recipe is perfect for cakes, cupcakes, brownies or muffins and you can adjust the recipe to make it even more spreadable icing for layer cakes or make it more stiff for piping decorations on cupcakes and cakes.
- Cream cheese softened 8 oz
- butter 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons softened
- powdered sugar 3 cups may slightly adjust according to preference
- vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
- unsweetened cocoa powder 1/2 cup
- whole milk 2 tablespoons optional, avoid it if you want stiff consistency for piping
- Chill the bowl, electric mixer blades in refrigerator for at least 15 to 20 minutes in advance as we need them really chilled before using to make the frosting. Only take these out just before you make the frosting, so they will be really cold.
- Transfer the softened cream cheese and softened butter to the bowl(make sure they are not too warm from being left outside in the room temperature, you just need to keep them outside the refrigerator until they are softened and use it right away to prepare the frosting).
- Mix the cream cheese and butter in high speed for about 2 to 3 minutes until they are mixed well and soft peaks are formed.
- Add the cocoa powder little by little and whip in high speed for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla essence and also add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, and add more little by little as needed, beat well in high speed for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- If you prefer a more spreadable consistency, add the milk to the whipped chocolate cream cheese frosting and beat for another 1 minutes. You can skip this step if you want a stiff frosting for piping on cupcakes or to do the piping on cakes.
- Use the chocolate cream cheese frosting immediately to decorate your cakes or cupcakes, as using it to decorate the cakes as soon as it is made will give you the best results. Also if you are not serving the frosted cakes and cupcakes right away, you can keep them refrigerated for best results.
Hope you found this post on chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe helpful in making easy and delicious chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting for cakes, cupcakes, brownies or muffins.