Homemade dense and super moist yellow cake from scratch (vanilla flavored) is simple and easy to make and you can frost it with chocolate frosting (chocolate icing) or vanilla icing as you like. Make it a simple one layered cake following this recipe or double the recipe to make two layers of yellow cakes and add the chocolate frosting to make it perfect for birthday parties, wedding anniversary etc! This is a dense yellow butter cake recipe which yields a delicious yellow butter cake which is extra moist in texture and which can be easily made at home.
Also, try my moist chocolate cake & evaporated milk cake which are also super easy to make and taste delicious! Super moist, delicious simple yellow butter cake recipe for beginners can be easily followed with using just basic ingredients (this recipe is updated recently for even better results). The result is a dense but soft, moist and delicious yellow butter cake which can be served to guests even with out any extra cream or toppings. However adding the chocolate frosting is perfect and classic for yellow cakes! You may also make easy moist yellow butter cakes from the best moist yellow butter cake mix available online. This recipe for super moist yellow cake yields is a small yellow butter cake which can be served for 6 to 8 people.
tips to make the best moist yellow butter cake
The cake is naturally dense and moist in texture and delicious in taste. This cake tends to rise in the middle where it is very soft, dense and moist.
The natural light yellow color of the cake is from the fresh butter and yolks of the fresh eggs used in the yellow butter cake recipe. Yellow cakes can be made using butter or oil. And butter cakes are always made using butter as you guess. So a yellow butter cake is a yellow cake made using butter (no oil is used here). As I already mentioned, the natural color of this yellow cake comes from the yolk of the whole fresh eggs used and also the butter. But you may also use few drops of yellow food coloring if you want to add more color. There are different kinds of yellow food colors available online, most popular ones include egg shade yellow color and lemon yellow color. For this yellow butter cake recipe, I suggest using egg shade yellow color or this regular yellow food color, if you want to use food color. Make sure you use all the ingredients at room temperature, or it may affect the results.
how to make super moist yellow cake from scratch?
To make the best, moist yellow butter cake (vanilla flavored) we use the following ingredients.
ingredients used to make moist yellow cake
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour (plus a little extra flour for dusting the pan)
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops yellow food color (optional) or use according to package instructions
step by step instructions
To make the yellow cake batter
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs very well.
- In a third bowl, add the softened butter and sugar and beat well until they are well combined.
- Combine the beaten eggs and butter sugar mixture and mix all ingredients well.
- Also add the milk and vanilla extract to the egg butter sugar mixture, and mix well to combine. If you are using yellow food color, you may add the food color also to the milk.
- Pour this wet ingredients mixture to the dry flour mixture, and mix well to make the cake batter.
- Do not overly mix the batter, but make sure there are no lumps formed in the batter and also make sure there is no dry flour left at the bottom of the bowl.
- The texture of the cake batter is slightly thick since this is a dense yellow cake.
- However, it is not supposed to be super thick, so if you think the batter turned too thick (it also depends on the flour and other ingredients that you use), you may add a little more milk to the batter and mix well to combine.
- Do not add a lot of milk, but just add about one tablespoon of milk at a time, mix with the batter and only add one spoon of milk if necessary.
- The batter is supposed to be thick but you should be able to pour the batter to the pan easily, which is the right consistency of batter for this cake recipe.
To bake the yellow cake
- Preheat the oven to 300 degree Fahrenheit.
- Grease the cake pan with butter and dust with little flour (may also use parchment paper and cake strips for the pan if you can to make it even better).
- Now transfer the prepared cake batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes in the oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. My cake was done in 50 minutes of time.
- Sometimes oven temperatures and baking times can vary depending on the oven, so it is a good idea to check the cake after about 35 to 40 minutes of time, since overbaking can cause the cake to dry out.
- Once the cake is done, transfer it from the hot oven and allow the cake to cool down completely before you transfer it for frosting (its delicious even without any frosting) or slicing.
Here are more pictures of how the homemade yellow butter cake turned out.
You can see the texture of the yellow butter cake below!
This butter cake has got a wonderful texture and it is really dense, moist, soft and delicious.
frosting ideas for homemade yellow cake
As I mentioned earlier, this simple homemade yellow cake is so delicious and moist, you can just enjoy it even without any frosting. That's what we mostly do in our family and my kids love it! However, sometimes I do frosting as well and though its a single layered cake, its easy to frosting or icing for this cake. If I want to frost this yellow cake, what I do is I slice the cake into two layers (this is easy for me because its a dense cake) and apply any frosting that I like. To add the frosting, I simply add the filling filling first by adding the frosting on the first layer, then place the second layer of cake on top and add more frosting on top of the second cake layer.
To make it even more fancy and decorated, we can add any easy toppings like fresh fruits, chocolate swirls, rainbow sprinkles etc or you can also add decorative designs as you like. Though different kinds of frosting go great with yellow cake, cream cheese frosting is my favorite and chocolate cream frosting will be the ideal one! You can find homemade frosting recipes here for the cake and you can choose whichever you like the best.
frosting recipes for the cake:
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- Vanilla Whipped Cream Frosting
can you double the yellow cake recipe?
This is a single layer yellow cake and as I mentioned above, if I want two layers of cake, I usually slice the cake in half and then frost as usual. It is so easy to slice the cake in half since the cake is dense in texture and usually there is enough cake even when you slice this in half. However if you want more of this, I recommend making the batter in two different batches instead of doubling the ingredients and making the batter.
This is because, this is a dense cake and when you double the ingredients there is a chance that the batter may become even more thicker and little difficult to handle. To avoid this, you can always make the batter in two different bowls as two batches for making two different yellow cakes. However, in case you want to try doubling the recipe and if its too thick, you may add a little more milk to adjust the consistency of the batter if its too thick.
One user from Pinterest has mentioned that she used Greek yogurt as an extra ingredient when she doubled the recipe to loosen up the batter and it turned out so delicious! So I guess it is possible to double the recipe but you may want to work around a little in case the batter is too thick.
easy & moist cake recipes:
- moist chocolate cake recipe
- sweet potato cake with cream cheese frosting
- fluffy vanilla cake recipe without eggs
- moist fruit cake
- moist applesauce cake (vegan)
- semolina yogurt cake
- eggless mango semolina cake
Below you can read the moist dense yellow vanilla cake (butter cake) recipe.
Dense Homemade Super Moist Yellow Cake From Scratch
To make the yellow cake batter
- In a bowl, mix flour and baking powder together.
- Beat the eggs and keep aside.
- In another bowl, add the softened butter and sugar, beat well until well combined.
- Add the beaten eggs to the butter sugar mixture and whisk together to mix all ingredients well.
- Now add the milk and vanilla extract to the bowl, and mix well (add the food color also to the milk if you are using it).
- Slowly add this wet mixture to the dry flour mixture, stirring in between so that no lumps are formed. Combine everything together to form the batter.The texture of the cake batter is slightly thick since this is a dense yellow cake. However, it is not supposed to be super thick, so if you think the batter turned too thick (it also depends on the flour and other ingredients that you use), you may add a little more milk to the batter and mix well to combine. Do not add a lot of milk, but just add about one tablespoon of milk at a time, mix with the batter and only add one spoon of milk if necessary. The batter is supposed to be thick but you should be able to pour the batter to the pan easily, which is the right consistency of batter for this cake recipe.
To bake the yellow cake
- Preheat oven to 300 degree Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the cake pan (9 inch round cake pan will be perfect) by greasing with butter and dusting with little flour. You can also line the bottom of the baking pan with parchment paper which will help you to transfer the cake easily once it is baked. Also put the cake strips around the pan for even baking if you want a perfect flat level cake- make sure you follow the directions mentioned in the strips you are using.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake this for about 45 to 50 minutes in the oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine was done in 50 minutes of time. Sometimes oven temperatures and baking times can vary depending on the oven, so it is a good idea to check the cake after about 35 to 40 minutes of time, since overbaking can cause the cake to dry out.
- As soon as the cake is done, transfer it from the hot oven, allow the cake to cool down completely before you try to take it out of the pan or slice it.