How To Make Whole Wheat French Toast At Home – Easy Whole Wheat French Toast Recipe With Homemade Batter From Scratch & Whole Wheat Brown Bread
Whole wheat french toast recipe using whole wheat brown bread slices and few other ingredients can be made really quick and easy and it gives you a filling, delicious and hearty breakfast or snack.
This whole wheat french toast recipe is kid friendly french toast recipe as well.
I have used sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon powder in the whole wheat french toast recipe but you can make whole wheat french toast without vanilla and without cinnamon too if you don’t want the flavors of vanilla or cinnamon. Also you can replace the white sugar with organic coconut palm sugar if you wish or you can reduce the amount of sweetener altogether if you don’t want your whole wheat french toast to be very sweet. You can also use natural sweeteners like pure fresh maple syrup instead of sugar but if you are using maple syrup, I suggest you to reduce the amount of milk accordingly, as they both are liquids.
French toast recipes are many including different recipes for french toast batter, but they are always delicious and popular, easy to prepare and quick breakfast or snack which can also be made healthy by using brown bread instead of white bread.
This recipe includes recipe to prepare the french toast batter and also the recipe to make the brown bread french toast easily on stove top.
This whole wheat french toast recipe is one of the quick and easy breakfast recipes which is kid friendly too.
You can see my post on healthy baked banana oatmeal recipe for breakfast which is healthy as well as easy to make and which is kid friendly too.
Let us see how to make the easy french toast batter and also how to make the french toast using whole grain brown bread slices.
Whole wheat french toast recipe is also very easy like the white bread french toast recipe, but these are more healthy due to increased fiber content from the whole wheat bread.
As I mentioned above, brown bread french toast is supposed to be more healthier, but it can be easily made just like white bread french toast.
While I have noticed that white bread toast is always more softer, due to the softness of the white bread, whole wheat french toast is more crunchy and has a chewy texture you will love if you love your french toast to be more crunchy in texture.
Brown bread toast is also very delicious and crispy, although it is often less soft compared to the white bread toast. If you like a crispy and filling french toast that is tasty and healthy as well, it is best to go for the brown bread french toast as it is made of whole wheat rather than from the refined flour.
I highly recommend you to use a whisker to whisk the eggs with milk to make the batter for french toast. If you just mix with a spoon, you have to really beat very hard with your hands or else the eggs may not be whisked very smoothly, so there is a very possible chance that the french toast can turn little eggy in texture (which means you may see some cooked eggs on top of the bread slices). This has happened to me and I really don’t like the eggy texture in my french toast, however my kids don’t seem to mind it, so after all it is your choice.
So here is the recipe for brown bread french toast which is delicious, crunchy, chewy and crispy!
Whole Wheat French Toast Recipe Below
Whole Wheat French Toast Recipe, How To Make French Toast Using Brown Bread
for the batter
- 2 large Eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 3 tablespoons Sugar adjust as you like
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon organic cinnamon powder optional
for the toast
- 5 slices Whole wheat bread slices
- 2 tablespoons Butter or as needed for toasting the bread slices
to make the batter
- In a bowl, beat the eggs well and then whisk together the beaten eggs and sugar first.
- Now whisk together the beaten eggs - sugar mixture with milk and whisk until everything is well combined. Add the vanilla extract and cinnamon powder, whisk again until all ingredients are blended nicely. This is how you can make the perfect batter for basic french toast recipe.
- As I already mentioned above, one thing I always recommend while beating eggs for preparing french toast is to use a whisker to whisk the eggs so nicely to make the perfect batter for french toast.
to make the toast
- Grease the iron griddle or pan generously with butter.
- Dip the brown bread slice in the egg milk mixture and toast it in the greased hot pan.
- It will take about 1 to 2 minutes for the bottom of the bread slice to be cooked and toasted in melted butter.
- Flip the bread slice so that the other side also gets cooked, it takes almost 1 minute. Add more butter if needed.
- The rule is that both the sides of the bread has to browned well, so you know it is really well cooked and has become crispy on outside! Enjoy the warm whole wheat french toast with a dollop of pure organic butter, maple syrup or sprinkled sugar or sliced fresh fruits or jam or anything of your choice!
Hope you found this post on french toast using brown bread helpful in making easy and yummy french toast using wheat bread slices.