This blog post explains how to make an easy and delicious blueberry filling for cake using easy homemade blueberry sauce from fresh blueberries.
You can see the easy homemade vanilla lemon flavored blueberry sauce recipe here which we use to make this blueberry filling for cake.
How To Add Blueberry Filling In Simple Layered Cakes?
Just follow the instructions in the above mentioned recipe for blueberry sauce and make yourself a delicious and easy blueberry sauce using fresh blueberries and very few other ingredients.
Once you have made the blueberry sauce, it is so easy to follow the instructions below to make the layered cake with the blueberry filling.
The most important thing I want to tell you is that you need to refrigerate this cake for a day before serving, as this tastes the best as a cold dessert, so just plan ahead if you are making this!
I used a single cake which I sliced in half to make two layers of cakes, and I used the blueberry filling and vanilla whipped cream to make the filling between the layers.
See easy recipe for homemade vanilla whipped cream here. Instead of slicing a single cake, you may also bake two cakes and apply the fillings in between.
I used this easy fluffy vanilla cake recipe to make the cake, for which I applied the blueberry filling (after slicing the cake to make two layers).
As I already mentioned, feel free to make two cakes if you wish if you don’t want to slice a single cake in half. If you use two cakes, naturally there will be more servings of cake.
If you are slicing a single cake just like I did, you can easily cut your cake using a layer cake slicer which will help you to the cut the cake evenly.
You may also use a wire layer cake cutter to slice the cake in layers. If you are using two different cakes also, you can use the wire layer cake cutter to level the top of your cakes which will help you to apply the frosting evenly.
Helpful tools available online to make your work easier: of course you don’t need all these tools to apply blueberry filling for cake, but these are helpful tools for anyone who is interested in cake decorating!
JUSLIN 11KALREDE 7 Layer cake slicer-Stainless steel 9 Inch to 12 Inch Cake Ring Round Adjustable Mousse MoldsKALREDE Cake Lifter – Cake Shovel Transfer and Butter Knife – Cake Tray Moving Plate -10 Inches Stainless Steel – Ideal for Cakes, Pizzas, Pies,Tarts – Baking Tool AccessoriesWilton Decorate Smart Small Cake Leveler, 415-0165Kootek 11 Inch Rotating Cake Turntable with 2 Icing Spatula and Icing Smoother, Revolving Cake Stand White Banking Cake Decorating SuppliesWilton 46-Piece Deluxe Cake Decorating Set, 2104-1368
So here is how I got this easy, simple and delicious blueberry filled layer cake following the below instructions to make blueberry filling for cake.
How To Add Blueberry Filling For Cake
- Make the blueberry sauce following this recipe for easy homemade blueberry sauce.
- Allow the blueberry sauce to cool down, the sauce will thicken as it cools down.
- Filter the sauce through a strainer and separate any liquid part. We only need the thick sauce that is retained inside the strainer, so you can save the contents inside the strainer which can be transferred to an air tight container and keep this chilled in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it for filling.
- Bake your favorite cake in which you want to apply the filling. Allow the cake to completely cool down before you apply the frosting and filling.
- You may use a single layer cake as I did which can be sliced in half or use two cakes to make the layers. I used this vanilla cake recipe to make the cake in which I applied the blueberry filling.
- If you are using a single cake, once the cake is completely cooled, transfer the cake from the cake pan and slice the cake evenly using a layer cake slicer to make two layers of cake. Keep the two layers separately.
- If you are using two cakes to make the layers, allow both the cakes to completely cool down before you transfer the cakes from the cake pan. Once the cakes are cooled and transferred, level both the cakes using a cake leveler which will make your job easy.
- So either you use one cake to make the layer cake or two cakes to make the layers, now you have got two layers of cake which are leveled as well.
- You can make the vanilla whipped cream frosting following the easy simple vanilla whipped cream recipe here. Make sure to use the whipped cream as soon as it is made or it will start melting which won’t be the best thing to be used in frosting. So just make sure to use the whipped cream frosting as soon as it is made for the best results.
- Once the whipped cream frosting is made (or any other frosting of your choice) apply a single layer of frosting on the leveled cake surface. You can use a good quality steel spatula or icing spatula to apply the frosting evenly.
- Once one layer of frosting is applied on the first layer of cake (which is leveled), add few spoons of blueberry filling on top of the frosting and apply it evenly through the layer, but make sure to not apply the fruit filling through the edges. For best results, I recommend using the blueberry filling only within the frosting (avoid adding the blueberry filling in the cake edges), just keep the filling inside the cake frosting.
- Now you can add one more layer of frosting on top of the blueberry filling, just don’t press it too much to avoid the fruit filling from mixing through the frosting. Instead, you can also do it like this way – instead of adding a second layer of frosting on top of the blueberry filling, frost the inside of the second layer of cake with a thin layer of frosting and stack in gently on top of the first layer with blueberry filling. Either way, I suggest not to apply too much frosting over the blueberry filling to make things easier.
- Once you have added the blueberry filling and frosting on the first layer, you can gently stack the second layer of cake on top of the first layer filled with the frosting and blueberry filling.
- Frost the top of the cake with more vanilla whipped cream or your favorite frosting, and decorate with fresh blueberries if you wish.
- This cake with whipped cream frosting and blueberry filling needs to be refrigerated before serving.
- Chill this cake in refrigerator and for best results, I recommend making this cake one day ahead of serving. There is a real difference in serving this cake the same day of making compared to chilling it for a day and serving the next day. If you are using whipped cream frosting for your cakes (any cakes) I recommend chilling the cake before using.
- For even better results, I almost always freeze the slices (if already sliced) for few hours and then just transfer the frozen slices to the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving, which will be perfect and most delicious!
So just make this blueberry filled cake one day ahead, refrigerate (or freeze the slices) and enjoy the delicious dessert the next day!
Hope you found this post on blueberry filling for cake helpful in making easy and yummy blueberry filling for your cakes easily!
If you love blueberry desserts, see my blog post on easy blueberry crumble pie recipe from scratch using fresh blueberries here.
Leave a Reply