This instant pot mango jam (without pectin) is really the best homemade instant pot mango jam recipe ever.
I have added a small video to show you the visuals of making this easy instant pot mango jam in instant pot without using pectin.
This instant pot fruit jam using fresh ripe mangoes is so simple to prepare, delicious, quick and ready in about 35 minutes of time in your instant pot (including the pressure build up and pressure release time for instant pot).
Do Mangoes Have Pectin?
Do you wonder if mangoes have enough pectin or how to make mango jam without pectin?
Mangoes are said to be not very rich in pectin, though the peels of ripe mangoes are said to have higher levels of pectin. However we remove the peels from the mangoes to prepare this mango jam, but still I found it is too easy to make mango jam without adding any store bought pectin and I had no difficulty in thickening the jam,
This is an easy simple instant pot mango jam recipe without adding pectin, and we only use fresh lemon juice (along with sugar) instead of pectin which does the job perfectly.
I didn’t have any difficulty getting the mango jam to thicken on its own without the pectin.
All fruits have some amount of natural pectin in them and with the help of lemon juice, we can make this mango jam so easily in the instant pot without using store bought pectin.
What Kind Of Mangoes Are Best For Mango Jam?
I used fresh ripe and sweet mangoes to make this instant pot mango jam and you can see how colorful this jam is!
The mango jam looks golden yellow in color and it is very colorful indeed from the natural yellow/orange colors of the ripe mangoes.
Whatever is the variety of the mango you find, make sure to use ripe, sweet and juicy mangoes for the best results. Also, its better to go for mangoes which are not so fibrous. If there’s a lot of stringy fibers in the mangoes, it may show up in the texture of the mango jam as well.
How To Tell If A Mango I Ripe Enough To Make Jam?
Usually, the well ripened mangoes are soft and deep yellow (some varieties develop a deep orange/red color) in color. When they are green, they are raw and tart in flavor.
As they ripe, the yellow color deepens and once you gently touch over the skin, you can feel they are soft and ripe. The unripe mangoes will be hard when you touch.
How To Make Instant Pot Mango Jam?
If you have never tried to make jams in instant pots before, it is so easy to make small batch fruit jams in the instant pot without using store bought pectin.
This is not meant for canning, but these homemade fruit jams store well in refrigerators when stored in clean, dry glass jars for about two weeks (I have tried storing that long only).
We need the following ingredients to make the jam.
- ripe mangoes
- lemon juice
To make the mango jam in the instant pot:
Steps To Follow (Process Of Making The Jam)
- Wash the mangoes very well, peel and chop the mangoes (discard the seeds).
- Transfer the chopped mangoes to the instant pot.
- Also add the sugar, lemon juice and water. Mix everything well.
- Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position and cook for about 7 minutes. Do a natural pressure release.
- Once done, open the pot and stir the contents, mash the contents using a potato masher and simmer until almost the jam consistency is reached. Keep in mind that the jam always thickens more as it cools down.
How To Peel Mangoes For Mango Jam?
To peel mangoes easily, I used a potato peeler. Peeling mangoes is much easier using a potato peeler as it can difficult to do with a regular knife, since mangoes are little slippery without the skin.
Alternatively, you may use a mango peeler to peel, slice and remove the pits easily from the mangoes.
How To Store Instant Pot Mango Jam?
I stored this instant pot mango jam in clean, dry glass jars up to two weeks in the refrigerator and it was fresh and yummy all the time.
This is a small batch mango jam prepared in the instant pot, which is not meant for canning. But it will last in the refrigerator or freezer for few days for sure if you store it in clean and dry mason jars or glass jars.
This instant pot mango jam is kid friendly as well (just like any other fruit jam :)) and we only use natural ingredients to make this at home. No preservatives, no pectin and it turned out great!
We really dump the ingredients (which are very few) to the instant pot and let it cook.
Then once the cooking is done, we mash the contents gently (I used a potato masher), do few minutes of stirring and simmering so the jam will thicken up.
Just make sure to stop the cooking before you reach the desired consistency, because the jam will thicken up a bit more as it cools down.
So if you overcook the contents, the jam can become overly thick and sticky, just like any other jam.
To avoid this and to get the perfect texture, make sure to watch and stir the contents as they simmer and stop the cooking once the jam is almost done.
I prefer to stop cooking just before it reaches the consistency of a fruit spread which is perfect!
So here is how you can make this instant pot mango jam without pectin following this easy and simple instant pot mango jam recipe from scratch.
Make sure to use fresh mangoes that are sweet as well instead of sour ones (preferably with less stringy fibers) for the best results.
Jars suitable for jams & jellies
More Instant Pot Jam Recipes In This Blog:
Instant Pot Mango Jam Without Pectin
- 4 large mangoes ripe and sweet
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice filtered, from a medium sized lemon
- 2 tablespoons water
- Wash the mangoes and peel the skin of the mangoes. I used a good quality potato peeler to easily remove the skin from the mangoes.
- Chop the mangoes into small sized pieces (discard the seeds of the mangoes), transfer the chopped mangoes to the inner pot of the instant pot. While chopping the mangoes, some of the juice will release if the mangoes are very ripe, save that juice and transfer that also to the inner pot of instant pot.
- Add the sugar also to the instant pot, mix well.
- Add the filtered lemon juice and water, mix everything well.
- Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position, press manual and cook in high pressure for 7 minutes. The instant pot will take few minutes to come into pressure and start cooking. Once the cooking is done, the pot will beep so you have to wait until then.
- Once the cooking is all done and the instant pot beeps, wait for a natural pressure release for about 10 minutes and then manually release the pressure very carefully by turning the lid from sealing to venting position slowly and gradually.
- Once the pressure is all released, carefully open the lid and stir the contents and mash the contents carefully (the contents will be very hot at this time so make sure to handle it without splashing anything hot). I used a good quality potato masher to mash the cooked fruits gently and effectively.
- Press the saute button, select medium and simmer the contents for about 8 minutes while you keep stirring the contents and mashing as needed, until the extra liquids have evaporated and the jam has reached an almost fruit spread like consistency.
- Once done, press the ‘keep warm/cancel’ button and carefully transfer the inner pot from the instant pot, to avoid any further cooking.
- Once the jam is cooled enough, but while its still warm, transfer the jam to the jars.
- Once cooled completely, transfer the jars to the refrigerator and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Enjoy the delicious mango jam with breads, pancakes or anything as you like.
Hope you found this post on instant pot mango jam helpful in making easy and delicious mango jam at home!
Last Updated on