Semolina porridge recipe to make semolina porridge at home is easy to follow and you can easily learn how to make semolina porridge. This semolina porridge recipe is a very popular, simple and easy to make homemade cream of wheat recipe.
Semolina porridge is popular in different cuisines and known in different names in different languages including rava kachiyathu (in South Indian cuisine), sooji porridge (in North Indian cuisine), mannaya kasha (in Russian cuisine) etc.
One thing with semolina porridge is that unlike most other porridges, semolina porridge has a tendency to thicken so fast (other kind of porridge made from different grains like oats too thickens with time but semolina tends to thickens so fast and even form a cake like texture if you add little liquid).
This is because semolina flour cooks really fast and it absorbs much of the liquid left. You can see from the pictures below how the semolina porridge thickens if you are not adding extra milk.
So first of all you need to decide what is the texture of semolina porridge or cream of wheat you prefer, if you prefer thick semolina porridge you can follow the recipe and no need to add extra milk.
If you prefer more liquid like consistency which is preferred by babies and kids, you can add more chilled milk to the hot semolina porridge as soon as it is prepared, which will make it the right consistency of breakfast porridge.
It is best to use slightly coarse semolina flour to make the porridge. Click here to buy semolina flour to make porridge
You can see from the picture that as soon as you prepare the semolina porridge, it is liquid like consistency. But it will thicken so fast, so add the chilled milk immediately to make it the consistency you prefer.
If you like easy porridge recipes, see oatmeal porridge microwave recipe here and see easy oatmeal porridge stove top recipe here.
More Semolina Flour Recipes In This Blog:
- sooji rava idli recipe
- easy sooji rava ladoo Indian dessert recipe
- semolina yeast pancakes recipe for breakfast
- masala upma recipe using semolina flour
So let us see how to make the semolina porridge at home in different consistencies.
You can also cook the porridge with more amount of milk if you prefer more liquid like consistency, but always keep some chilled milk with you since the semolina porridge has the tendency to thicken up fast.
If you are looking for semolina porridge recipe for babies or kids, you can easily tweak the recipe by skipping the cardamom powder (if you haven’t used cardamom powder before) and adding more milk while preparing the porridge.
Adding even more milk to the prepared porridge will help you reach the desired consistency needed for babies and kids.
For those who have a milk allergy, you can use water instead of milk or you can use coconut milk for cooking the porridge, which may slightly alter the flavor but it is perfectly fine to be used.
So here is how you can easily make semolina porridge at home following this easy semolina porridge recipe below.
Semolina Porridge Recipe Below
Semolina Porridge Recipe, How To Make Semolina Porridge At Home
- 1/2 cup semolina flour (sooji flour)
- 2 cups whole milk
- chilled milk as needed
- 3 tablespoons sugar adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder optional
- Add the semolina flour to a pan and dry roast it for about 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly. If you are using roasted semolina flour, you can skip this step.
- Add the milk, sugar and cardamom powder to the roasted semolina flour, mix well.
- Keep in medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, keep stirring continuously or the porridge will stick or burn at the bottom of the pan.
- As the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to low, and cook for another few seconds stirring continuously.
- Switch off the stove and remove the pan from the hot stove.
- Semolina porridge is cooked and ready to be used.
- Add more chilled milk to the porridge to make it more liquid like consistency and mix well to avoid lumps.
- Serve hot for breakfast, you can also top with dry fruits like raisins or any chopped or toasted nuts if you wish!
Hope you found this simple, easy quick semolina porridge recipe r homemade cream of wheat recipe helpful!