This easy sweet potato cake recipe from scratch uses fresh sweet potatoes which is added to a fine chocolate cake recipe. Sweet potatoes can be easily added to cakes and the addition of these healthy vegetables make the cake more nutritious. Even kids who don't like sweet potatoes will love this sweet potato chocolate cake. I guess it is because of the delicious chocolate flavor, but still it has some veggies in it.
When I thought about baking a cake for an occasion, I suddenly thought about the sweet potatoes in my fridge, and I decided I want a sweet potato flavored cake.
I was not sure how a sweet potato cake would turn out, so I decided to go for a chocolate cake with sweet potatoes, because I was almost sure the chocolate would make the cake really delicious even if the sweet potatoes goes wrong.
I looked for a recipe for sweet potato chocolate cake, and I found a really good recipe here.
I referred to the above recipe of sweet potato chocolate cake, but I made some modifications in the ingredients.
My cake took more time to get baked than that mentioned in the original recipe, which should be due to the modifications I made. But it was delicious!
The original recipe called for buttermilk, but I didn't have it in hand, so I decided to use half yogurt and half water. I was not sure if this could be done, but that is how I did it and the cake turned out really nice.
Also I used melted full fat butter instead of oil, and I had to use an extra two teaspoons of water to the batter, as the batter looked little thick to me.
Everything turned out fine and the cake was baked fine without any issues.
The sweet potato chocolate cake was sweet and delicious and even my picky eaters loved it, so go ahead and try it if you want a delicious chocolate cake with some healthy vegetables in it!
So here is the my recipe for easy sweet potato chocolate cake recipe from scratch.
Easy Sweet Potato Cake Recipe From Scratch (Chocolate Cake)
- Pressure cook the sweet potato and peel and mash it really well and keep aside ( you can also puree the cooked sweet potato if you want)
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together - flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and add sugar and melted butter, mix everything well.
- In a small bowl, beat the yogurt really well so that there are no lumps, and then add 1/ cup of water to the smooth yogurt and mix well.
- Add the yogurt water mixture to the mashed/pureed sweet potato and mix everything together.
- Combine the sweet potato - yogurt mixture to the eggs-butter-sugar mixture and stir all the wet ingredients together.
- Now slowly combine the wet ingredients mixture to the dry ingredients mixture and gently stir everything together.
- The cake batter looked little thick to me, so I added the extra 2 teaspoons of water to the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Grease the cake pan with butter and pour the batter.
- Bake the cake for about 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- The top of my cake got baked really fast at around 30 minutes, so I covered the top using an aluminium foil and then continued baking (I did it because the inside was not cooked but the top was cooked. So make sure you check your cake at around 3 minutes, and see if the top is already cooked so you can cover it with aluminium foil and continue baking.) Allow the cake to cool in the rack before you cut and serve!
Hope you found this post on easy sweet potato cake recipe from scratch helpful!
You might like to see my post on easy light fluffy vanilla cake recipe from scratch.