Easy homemade blueberry pancakes from scratch makes very easy and delicious pancakes for breakfast or snack. Blueberries are perfect to make pancakes and if you are trying to make easy homemade blueberry pancakes from scratch, do try thiseasy homemade blueberry pancakes recipe.
If you want to keep this eggless (I have made that before), you can jsut skip the eggs and it works fine too, however I have noticed that the texture and flavor of the blueberry pancakes is the best when you add an egg to make the pancake batter.
I used fresh blueberries as well as frozen blueberries (recently) to make these delicious, fluffy blueberry pancakes, and while fresh blueberries works the best, frozen blueberries also works well if you thaw them first.
Also, if you use frozen blueberries, you may get a light purple blue tint n the pancake batter from the thawed blueberries, so your pancakes could look a little colorful with a purple shade to them!
I also used vanilla extract to add flavor to the pancakes and they were so delicious.
If you have leftover fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries and wants to make easy blueberry pancakes, do try this easy blueberry pancakes recipe using fresh or frozen blueberries to make delicious blueberry pancakes at home!
As I mentioned, if you decide to use. frozen blueberries, thaw the blueberries first and remove any extra water content before adding the blueberries to the pancake batter (though it may still have watery juice which will add the purple color to the batter!).
I recommend using fresh blueberries to make these delicious homemade blueberry pancakes, if you do not want the slight purple blue color to the pancakes.
How To Make Easy Homemade Blueberry Pancakes From Scratch?
This blueberry pancake recipe uses whole milk in the preparation of the batter and make sure to use good quality all purpose flour to make the best blueberry pancakes.
Since we are adding blueberries, it is better to use all purpose flour as the texture of the flour is very important in holding up the pancakes that also contains blueberries.
I used this unbleached all purpose flour to make these blueberry pancakes, but you may use good quality wheat flour or bleached flour too.
You can make the pancakes using an iron pan or iron skillet or a regular non stick pan or you can use a pancake pan or pancake grill griddle pan if you want to make multiple pancakes together which will help to save you much time.
You can also make delicious, homemade blueberry pancake sauce (compote) or syrup on stove top or instant pot blueberry sauce (compote) for pancakes to to top these delicious blueberry pancakes!
More blueberry recipes in this blog include blueberry jam without pectin in instant pot, easy blueberry cobbler from scratch, watermelon blueberry kale salad, strawberry blueberry smoothie, blueberry lemon infused water, blueberry juice, blueberry milkshake, blueberry oatmeal porridge, strawberry blueberry banana summer fruit salad, blueberry banana cake, blueberry crumble pie and more!
Can you make these pancakes eggless?
I have tried these pancakes without eggs too, and they turned out delicious as well.
However, I am updating the recipe to add egg since I found out it may not work perfectly with some brand flours, and also it is best to use eggs for the best flavor & texture.
I was initially not very sure about trying eggless pancakes with blueberries, as I thought it would be quite difficult to make these without using eggs.
I have other delicious eggless pancake recipes in this blog, like this egg free pancakes using yogurt .
To see more tips on making eggless pancakes like substitutes for making pancake batter and pancakes without eggs, read this post on pancakes without eggs, where we make easy pancakes using ground flax seeds.
However, I was not sure if the pancake batter with blueberries will hold up well without using eggs due to the addition of blueberries.
And I was amazed to see how they turned out to be so easy to prepare and so delicious too, but as I told, I am updating the recipe with egg, to make them even more perfect and delicious and works with more different flours.
If you want to keep them eggless, just skip the eggs and that works just fine too if you are using all purpose flour.
So here is how you can make easy, delicious homemade blueberry pancakes at home following this easy recipe.
Ingredients To Make Easy Homemade Blueberry Pancakes
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg at room temperature
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons butter melted (at room temperatre, or use oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
Extra butter for greasing and cooking the pancakes — as needed
Step by step instructions
To make the blueberry pancake batter
Transfer the washed blueberries to a bowl and add one tablespoon of sugar, mix well and keep aside (If using frozen blueberries, thaw the blueberries by placing the frozen blueberries in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about one minute, discard any extra liquid before adding the sugar).
Mix the dry ingredients in another large bowl, until they are well combined (flour, baking powder and salt).
In a different bowl, add the egg and beat well. Also add the melted butter (or oil), remaining one tablespoon of sugar and mix well to combine with beaten eggs.
Also add the milk and vanilla extract to the beaten egg butter sugar mixture, whisk well until the wet ingredients mixture is formed.
Pour the wet ingredients mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix well without any lumps (make sure there is no dry flour left in the bowl) to form the pancake batter.
Now add the blueberries to the pancake batter and now the blueberry pancake batter is ready.
If you are using frozen, thawed blueberries, you may notice a purple color to the batter. This doesn’t usually happen if you are using fresh blueberries.
To make the blueberry pancakes:
To make the blueberry pancakes, heat a nonstick pan, grease with little butter or oil if needed.
Pour a small ladle of batter to the heated pan, wait for a coupe of minutes until the pancake get cooked on the bottom side.
Gently flip the pancake and cook for another minute so the other side too will get cooked.
Transfer the cooked pancake to the serving dish and similarly cook all pancakes until all the batter is finished.
While flipping the pancakes, even if one or two blueberries fallout its perfectly fine, you can just add them back in place once the pancakes are cooked.
Serve the delicious blueberry pancakes with butter or maple syrup or any topping (like fresh blueberries) or blueberry sauce for pancakes as you wish!
In this recipe for blueberry pancakes from scratch, I mixed in the blueberries with the batter and then made the pancakes.
Instead, you may also do it this way – pour the pancake batter to the pan, and then top with the blueberries as you wish, and then cook as usual.
I went with the first method of mixing the blueberries with the batter, since I wanted to make them so quickly.
More Pancake Recipes:
Below you can read the recipe for homemade blueberry pancakes in detail.
Easy Homemade Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter melted (at room temperatre, or use oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Extra butter for greasing and cooking the pancakes — as needed
To make the blueberry pancake batter
- Transfer the washed blueberries to a bowl and add one tablespoon of sugar, mix well and keep aside (If using frozen blueberries, thaw the blueberries by placing the frozen blueberries in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about one minute, discard any extra liquid before adding the sugar).
- In another large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a different bowl, add the egg and beat well. Also add the melted butter (or oil), remaining one tablespoon of sugar and mix well to combine with beaten eggs.Also add the milk and vanilla extract to the beaten egg butter sugar mixture, whisk well until the wet ingredients mixture is formed.
- Pour the wet ingredients mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix well without any lumps.
- Also the add the sugared blueberries and mix the batter gently so the blueberries are evenly mixed with the batter. Now the blueberry pancake batter is ready.
- If you are using frozen, thawed blueberries, you may notice a purple color to the batter. This doesn't usually happen if you are using fresh blueberries.
To make the blueberry pancakes
- Heat a nonstick pan or iron pan or skillet, or a pancake pan, grease with butter.
- Pour a small ladle of pancake batter to the pan, keep the heat in medium to low adjusting as needed.
- Wait for a coupe of minutes so the pancakes will get cooked on the bottom side and holes will appear on top of the pancakes.
- Gently flip the pancake and cook for another minute so the other side too will get cooked. As I mentioned earlier, even if one or two blueberries fall out of the pancake while flipping, it is totally fine as you can just fix them back once the pancake is completely cooked.
- Gently transfer the cooked pancake to the serving dish or container and cook all the pancakes the same way until all the batter is finished.
- Serve the delicious blueberry pancakes with butter or maple syrup or any topping (like fresh blueberries) or blueberry sauce for pancakes as you wish!