Sugar cookies are so easy to make and you can make star shaped cookies for Christmas, Easter or other holiday special cookies like Christmas tree shaped cookies, snowman shaped cookies, shamrock cookies, heart shaped cookies, flower shaped cookies or easy regular round sugar cookies as you wish.
If you are a beginner or if you are looking to make simple, delicious and easy cookies for Easter, Christmas or any holidays or special occasions, try these sugar cookies which is very simple and easy to learn and make yourself.
Sugar cookies with colorful sprinkles (you can easily decorate using sprinkles) especially makes great Easter cookies.
With this easy homemade sugar cookie dough, just use any kind of cookie cutters or use different kinds of cookie cutters to make your favorite sugar cookies in desired shapes.
If you do not have cookie cutters, you can easily make simple, easy round shaped cookies using this sugar cookie dough by easily making small balls from the dough and gently press them, which can be baked to make delicious round shaped sugar cookies.
So you can use this easy sugar cookies recipe to prepare the dough and make whichever shape of sugar cookies you like – whether you want simple, round sugar cookies (which can be made without cookie cutters) or make sugar cookies of different shapes using cookie cutters.
So here is how you can prepare homemade sugar cookie dough from scratch and make sugar cookies at home. I sometimes make them plain and sometimes I just add rainbow sprinkles.
You can also easily frost them with any cookie frosting or icing or different varieties of sprinkles.
This recipe for sugar cookies makes 32 to 40 cookies – the number of cookies can vary anywhere from 32 to 40 numbers (on an average) depending on the shape and size of cookie cutters you use.
Easy Sugar Cookies Recipe Below
Sugar Cookies Recipe, Easy Simple & Delicious Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- salt a pinch
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons oil I used canola oil
- extra flour as needed for dusting
To prepare the cookie dough
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt until they are evenly mixed.
- In another bowl, mix well the softened butter and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Beat the egg very well and add this to the butter sugar mixture, also add the vanilla extract and mix well to combine.
- Transfer the wet ingredients mixture to the dry flour mixture, mix well using a spoon and then knead well with your hands.
- Add the oil and knead again. Now the sugar cookie dough is ready, cover and keep it in the refrigerator to chill the cookie dough for about half an hour (if you keep more time, the cookie dough will harden, if that happens you can leave it in the room temperature until you can work on it again of if you are in a hurry you can microwave it for 4 to 5 seconds which will help).
To cut the cookies
- Divide the cookie dough into four equal sections so you can easily work with them.
- Take one section of the divided dough and place it in a dusted (with flour) clean flat surface.
- Roll the dough little thick (about 1/4 inch) and using cookie cutters, cut the shapes. If its difficult to take the cutout from the remaining of the dough, you can slowly move the cookie cutter towards the edge and slowly slide the cutout onto your hand, then place it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminium foil. To make this easier, always try to make the cuts near to the edge of the rolled dough so you can easily move them out.
- Cut out different shapes using different kinds of cookie cutters if you wish (if needed knead and roll the dough again, as you cut the shapes. If you are using a lot of different kinds of cookie cutters at the same time with the rolled dough, you can make all the shapes at the same time which maybe more easy to do as well) and place them all in the cookie sheet with enough space in between (the cookies will slightly enlarge as they get baked, so do not keep too close).
To bake the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is hot enough, place the first batch of cookies in the oven.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or couple of minutes more if you want them crispy.
- Once the cookies are baked, transfer them immediately from the hot oven to avoid further baking which will make them harder.
- Let the cookies sit in the cookie sheet for few minutes until they are cooled. Enjoy them as they or you can frost them if you wish.
- Similarly work with the rest of the cookie dough as well (you can do it in multiple batches in whichever shapes you like).
Hope you found this post on sugar cookies helpful in making easy and delicious sugar cookies for any holidays or special occasions!